Chapter 28

Nicholas and I have been texting all weekend. He has a very smirk sense of humor and I don't even know how to deal with him. He wants us to go out for dinner Friday night when he is free, but I have to be careful with him Juan's threat has been in my head the whole time. I need to find a way to rid of him and quick. He is starting to mess with my sleep. My phone rings snapping me out of my thoughts. I immediately smile as I realize who is calling me. He has called every day since our dinner.

"You are starting to make this a habit, aren't you?"

"As long as that means I hear your voice I will continue to do it." I hear the P.A in the back announcing a wave of patients coming in. Telling the doctors to get ready.

"Aren't you supposed to be getting ready for whatever trauma is supposed to come in just now?"

"I have 5 minutes. How are you?" My heart warms at the fact that he cares. Oh lord, I'm getting mushy on the inside.

"I am headed to court for a case I filed against the guy that attacked me the night we met." I hear him make a disapproving moan in the back. "And this upsets you because??"

"The man tried to take advantage of you, he tried to hurt you and the idea of you being in the same room with him is just not something I think I like." He sounds strained.

"I can feel you coming out all grizzly bear over the phone. I will be fine it is a quick thing with the judge for formalities only I hope." I say the last part a little quiet. Hoping that he doesn't pick up on my nervousness.

"You don't sound too confident about that. I mean you can tell me if the case is a hard one Chloe, I can help you. I was at the scene I can come in and testify if you need me to. Even after my shift I can..."

"No!" I say a little too loud and I feel bad for just snapping at him like that. "Thank you but no. I want you as far away from this as possible. I want you as far away as possible from the public eye. It is better that way." I try to say a lot calmer and hoping that it eases him in some way.

"Chloe, I know this is new to you, but I want to help you I really do."

"I know you do Nicholas and I really appreciate you for that, but I will have to politely decline." I hear the P.A come on announcing the patients are 30 seconds out.

"I should go but know this conversation will be continued when I see you tonight at your house. Have a good day."

"I don't think that's..." the line goes disconnected. In a normal circumstance, I would be furious but right now I am looking forward to him coming over. I know I won't be home until later I should probably text him and let him know. I send him a quick text.

Chloe: I probably won't be home until like 9 so I don't think your plan of coming over is going to work. Sorry to burst your bubble Dr. nosy.

I look up to find a very curious pair of eyes coming from Jahid.

"What?" I snap at him

"Nothing I just haven't seen you smile like that ever most especially from a call. Hot doctor, I'm guessing?" I adore Jahid so much but right now he is teasing me, and I do not like being teased.

"Jahid please not now." He looks away and I start tapping away on my phone answering emails. Soon enough we get to court and before I know it, I am being ushered through a crowd of people with cameras and reporters asking me questions from all angles.

How did they know I will be here? I mean I am very cautious of my inner circle and this is just a whole new level of bullshit. I hate America so much, nothing is secret in this country. Once I am in the building I asked for where I was going and got directions.