home away from home

song: half a heart by one direction

✈︎

The next time El opens her eyes, she sees the world slowly coming closer to her and the plane lands on the ground with a gentle bounce before slowing down as it reached the destination. El looks outside eagerly, the clear blue skies of Italy are now shown above her. She grins before standing up when the plane comes to a complete stop and grabs her bags from the overhead bins.

It is quick getting out of the plane and she now waits by a conveyor belt that passes luggage around. She doesn't spot hers at first but then she does and she grabs the 2 suitcases and walks through the airport. The airport seemed to be very busy today, people crowding the walkways and in huge lines for the food, but El ignores all of it and she walked to an escalator.

As she was going down the escalator she saw a blond girl holding a poster above her head. El reads it and furrows her eyebrows in confusion.

EL HOPPER, WELCOME! :)

What?

How does someone already know her, and she hasn't spoken to anyone since she left Hawkins? When she stepped off the escalator she walked toward the blond girl, who was still holding up the sign. As El approached the girl, she finally noticed her and smiled at her. "Are you El Hopper?" The girl asked, she had a heavy Italian accent. "Uh yes.."

"Capisco! Benvenuto, I am Sofia it is very nice to meet you." She greets with a friendly smile. "Nice to meet you too... may I ask how you know me?"

"Oh, right, sorry. I'm your roommate for Leonardo Di Medici art school! The dean of the school told me to come get you at the airport so you wouldn't get lost." 

"Cool.. how do I know you aren't trying to kidnap me?" El questioned. "Sciocchezze! This is my first year at this school, I know this is your first year too. I saw your painting, è stato molto impressionante."

El smiled, "Thank you.. what was it?" She asked, she couldn't trust the girl just yet.

"era un paesaggio, trees, a pond, beautiful sunset. I have seen nothing like it! You can trust me, i couldn't kidnap a fly without feeling bad." Sofia explained with a giggle. "Alright.. but if I die, expect a very angry dad and best friend to come after you." 

Sofia put her hands up in surrender, "grazie per l'avvertimento, but I don't think it will be necessary, you are safe with me! Now let's get going! You'll want to be moved in so we can go get something to eat!"

El was beyond excited to eat here, she wanted to try the pizza, pasta, gelato.. all of it. "Alright, let's go!" El said, Sofia kindly took one of her suitcases and they walked out of the airport. The blond had a car waiting in the parking lot and unlocked it before setting her suitcases in the back and getting in the car, El doing the same.

As they drove around the city Sofia pointed out landmarks such as the famous Duomo and the Piazza San Giovanni. "How long have you lived here?" El asks. "Oh, my whole life! Conosco questa città come il palmo della mia mano!" 

"That will be good to know if I ever get lost." El says with a chuckle. "So what is it like in grand America? Where did you live there?" 

"I lived in Hawkins Indiana. There was nothing that interesting there, mostly just like.. fields. It's so boring there, you would be bored out of your mind."

"That's different from what I have heard before."

"It all depends on where you live, I guess." El shrugs. "well what did you do there so you weren't bored?"