only in your dreams

Song: Hopelessly Devoted to You by Olivia Newton-John

✈︎

The first thing Mike sees is plants. When his eyes finally adjust to his surroundings he realizes he's in a garden. He doesn't know whos garden, but it's someone's. There are bushes, flowers, hanging plants, trees, everything. There was a small swinging bench near the corner of the bench where someone familiar was sitting.

He could recognize the figure as El.

He could always tell when it was her. Her honey curls blowing softly in the breeze and then he heard her laugh, "What are you staring at? Stop drooling and come and sit," She said as she turned around to face him, patting the space beside her.

Mike hesitantly walked over to where she was sitting and sat down next to her. El immediately scooted closer to him and placed her head on his shoulder.

"Isn't it great?" She asked suddenly. Mike furrowed his eyes in confusion, "Isn't what great?"

"To be in love.." She sighed dreamily. Now he was even more confused. "With who?" He couldn't help but ask. Maybe he would finally have a good dream.. but he just had to make sure. He could only hope it was him she was referring to.

"Him.." She pointed to someone working out in the garden. His whole figure was blurred so Mike couldn't see who he was. "Who is he?" Mike asked, his muscles tensing at the sight of the man.

"Someone I love very much." She said quietly, a smile finding its way onto her face. "More than me?" Mike managed to croak out, trying to tease her slightly. But it wasn't a joke at all.

"Yes, I think so.." She chuckled before taking her head off his shoulder and looking at him. "Are you mad?"

"Um.. no.. why would I be?" He was a little, but it's just a dream. Right?

"Well because you love me, doesn't it hurt you?" She asked softly. "Yeah.." Mike didn't see a point in lying. She simply connected their hands and sighed: "I'm sorry.."

"It's okay." It wasn't.

"Do you know why you're here?" She asked curiously, bringing her free hand up to his cheek and making him turn to look at her. He shook his head as his eyes stared into hers lovingly. "I just wanted to say goodbye.."

Mike blinked. "Goodbye? Where are you going?"

"I'm not going anywhere. But now that I'm with him.. and well, you're simply my best friend. I don't really need you anymore, y'know?"

"But.." She shook her head, interrupting him before he could continue. "You're just a fragment of my childhood.. and well, I guess I just wanted to say thank you." She said, repeating the very words he had written down just a few days ago.

"For what?"

"For growing up with me, for always staying by my side, for making me smile and encouraging me to do things... and for loving me." She said quietly.

"But why are you saying goodbye? I'm not going anywhere either.." Mike found himself asking.

"Mike," She chuckled. "I told you. I don't need you! You're just my best friend and now that I'm with him I really don't see a point in us still being friends."

He looked at her with confusion and pulled face away from her hand as if it had burned him. She frowned, "Oh Mike, please don't be upset! You simply waited too long.. maybe if you would have said something earlier it would be you instead of him.. but it's too late. And now you need to get over me, okay?" She said, reaching over to grab his hand again but he shook his head and she put her hands back in her lap.