a love like yours

Song: I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston

✈︎

Dreams never seemed to haunt Mike whenever he was with El. The only dreams he had were ones where they were together, none where his mind would torture him of being abandoned by her, or not wanted, or simply the fear of just being away from her. No, those dreams wouldn't dare to enter his mind when El was cuddled up to his side.

When he was with her he wasn't scared of going to sleep like he usually would be. When he was back in Hawkins and far away from El, Mike would stare up at his ceiling for hours, just avoiding any wink of sleep. He'll admit it, the dreams scared him. He didn't know if they were real or if they were fake. They were incredibly realistic and most of the time he couldn't tell them apart. That's what scared him.

He would stare at his ceiling, or the wall for countless hours each night just so he wouldn't fall asleep. He tried to keep his mind busy, but none of it worked. His brain simply tortured him at night when he wasn't around El, but when he was with her, things were completely different.

Most of the time he wouldn't dream about anything, but when he did they were magical, and when he woke up the first thing that he'd see was her. That's how Mike wanted to wake up every day. He wanted to fall asleep next to her knowing that the next morning she would be in the exact same place.

Right beside him.

The room was dark because of the curtains that covered the small window on the wall, but from the small rays of sunlight peeking out of the sides, he knew it was early in the morning. El was sleeping peacefully next to him, her head on his chest and her leg swung over his hip, her hand intertwined loosely with his.

Mike remembers when they first held hands and how sparks and butterflies lit up inside of him, and how those same sparks happened to this day. Although he knows that he's been in love with her since the very first day of their friendship, he just doesn't remember exactly when he started to fall for her. Maybe it was when they jumped in the pool, or maybe it was their first day of middle school, maybe it was watching the sunset and and talking for endless hours about nothing in particular, maybe it was when he looked into her eyes and felt safe, or maybe even when he started picturing his future, and figuring out what he wanted to do with his life but in all of those thoughts, she was there too. Maybe it was listening to love songs on the radio and finally understanding what they meant, what the true meaning was behind them because he could feel it himself. Maybe it was when she would ask him what he was thinking, and the only thought popping up in his head was how desperately in love with her he was. Or maybe it was when he realized brown eyes could never be so beautiful, and how he would do anything just for her to look him in the eyes. Maybe it was when his black and white life turned to color. Maybe it was when he realized he would die for her, or walk through fire for her. Maybe he doesn't remember exactly when he fell in love with her, but he's held her hand his entire life and now he realizes how much it would hurt if he ever let go. But he wasn't going to let go anytime soon.

As he looked at her, he knew that he would do anything to keep her safe. It didn't matter if he had to cross a million rivers, or walk a billion miles just to get to her. He would risk it all, just for her, and there was no doubt about it. He loved her with every cell in his body and he never would have realized just how amazing it felt.

He's always been a firm believer in true love, too. And he was completely certain that El was destined to be his. They were created to love each other, and that's exactly what they would do.

It was in the early hours of the morning when Mike thought El looked her best at. Even if her hair was tangled and knotted, or her tired eyes could barely keep open, or how small and raspy her voice was, it didn't matter about the slight imperfections, Mike would always think that she was beautiful in the mornings. That's why he liked waking up, so he could look down at her face and fall in love all over again.