T W E L V E - T H E G A L A P A R T O N E

Chapter Twelve - The Gala: Part One

    A week has passed since the incident, bringing this story to December 20th, where Cara, as usual, is running late.

    "Aaah!" screamed Cara as she tripped over a pile of shoes. "Damn you!" She scolded the shoes, trying to find a good outfit. 

    "What am I gonna wear, what am I gonna wear?" She muttered under her breath. "Aha!" Cara pulled out a large mint green turtleneck sweater to wear with her white pants.

     She splashed her face with water then applied a light coat of makeup. Grabbing her bag, Cara yanked on her brown boots and coat, rushing out the door. 

    "I'm going to be late!" Her stomach growled, making her remember that she had not eaten anything yet.

    She ran down the stairs of her apartment, stopping when she saw Max in his car. She knocked on the window and got in.

    "Hey," He said in greeting. "You're late."

    "I know," said Cara, buckling her seat belt. "Oooh, bagels." She took Max's bagel from his hand and took a bite. He rolled his eyes, driving them off to work.

.........................

    "CARA DARLING!!!!" Shouted Madam Cossette, running down the hallway. "I HAVE A DRESS FOR YOU!!!" She stopped in front of her, holding a box. "It will look absolutely amazing on you! Try itz on!"

    Cara took the box, smiling at Madam Cosette. "Thanks, but don't you need more help with the decorations?"

    Madam Cosette pursed her lips, shaking her head. "No, Mon Cherie, you have done enough. Now go and get ready for ze gala darling!"

    Cara let Madam Cosett usher her to her office to change. 

    Tonight was the annual STAR Articles Winter Gala, a social event for STAR to make the competition jealous. 

    Cara took out the dress, admiring its ombre gray sequined color. It was an off-shoulder mermaid dress with a V-neck, and a slit, paired with white gladiator heels to match. 

    Slipping it on, Cara fixed her hair, leaving it up in a braided updo. She put on a light coat of makeup, adding red lipstick. 

    She twirled, satisfied with her outfit, then checking the clock. The gala started at 6:00 and it was currently 5:58.

    Cara checked her makeup one last time, then rushed to find Max.

.....................

    Max fixed his tie again, then smoothed his hair out. He heard a knock on the door of Madam Cosette's dressing room. He opened it, revealing Cara.

     "Um... hey, uh... wow." Max had trouble finding his words, earning a smirk from Cara. "You look nice," he said.

    "Yeah, I know," Max laughed at that. "You look nice too." Cara took his arm, smiling.

    "You ready?" She asked.

    "Ready as I'll ever be."

     The began to walk, but Cara stopped. "Wait," She fixed his tie. "Better."

    And with that, the two set out to STAR's Winter Gala.

 .....................

So whaddya think? Remember to check out the other writers club books on my reading list! Keep reading, the next update is coming up, and it's going to be about... well, you have to read it first ;) The next chapter will be in Max's POV again. Anyways, Vote, comment on what you think and have a great day! 

-Brownie :)

(p.s here's a spoiler for Chapter Thirteen: Will Cara and Max become a thing?)

Read to find out!