T H I R T E E N - T H E G A L A P A R T T W O

Chapter Thirteen - The Gala Part Two

    Max and Cara had split up to cover more terrain and to socialize. Kelly had said that in events like this, anyone and everyone are bloodthirsty sharks ready to destroy you at any second. Kelly was very serious when she said this, so maybe she had some experience, thought Max. 

    As Max was walking to the refreshments table, he felt one of those sharks latch on to him. More like a leech, he thought.

    "Jade." said Max, gritting his teeth. "Please let go of me. Isn't Sam your escort?"

    "Oh, honey boo!" She said in a sickeningly sweet voice. "Sam means nothing to me! You mean everything! Please give me another chance Maxxy! Leave that old hag and come back to me!!!!"

    Disgusted, Max yanked his arm from her leeching grip. "Jade. I do not like you. Leave me alone unless you want me to file a restraining order. I will file one if I have to."

    And with that, Max walked off, ondering why he ever liked her in the first place.

.....................................

    Cara was talking to Mr. Sullivan, the CEO of a rivaling company. "You will benefit more if you work at my company, an expert writer will be great for us." He was saying.

    "Thank you for the offer." Cara smiled mockingly in a way that only Max would understand. "But, I am fine with my job here."

    "Pity, such a pity that a beautiful woman such as yourself cannot experience the real deal. My offer still stands." Mr. Sullivan reached for what seemed to be his 5th drink tonight. Mr. Sullivan was as Cara would put it, a fat and unappealing man.

    Cara forced back her glare, holding back the flurry of sarcastic remarks she so desperately wanted to say. Instead, she continued smiling her mocking smile.

    "Perhaps you would want to be my date for my company's charity next Sunday?" Oh. So this is what he wanted to say, thought Cara.

    "Sorry, I'm busy that day." She couldn't help the sharp blade of sarcasm in her voice. "Why don't you find someone else." She walked off, muttering under her breathe, "Not that anyone would go willingly."

    Not watching where she was going, Cara crashed into someone. "I'm so sorr-" She looked up, then scowled at the face she saw. "Oh, it's just you."

    Sam chuckled wiping the wine stain on his shirt. "Yes, it's me." 

    Cara walked away, intent on ignoring him. Cara walked out to the balcony wine glass in hand. She leaned on the railing, noticing that someone else was already there. "Jade?" asked Cara.

    Jade turned around, a furious look on her tearstained face. "You! You ruined everything for me!" She blubbered at Cara. "Why does he even like you?!?! You are... are... you ugly crone!!!??"

    Cara scoffed. "In order to insult me, I first have to care. In this case, I don't. Nice try?" 

    Jade shrieked and stormed off. Cara stayed at the balcony, feeling the cold December breeze. She shivered involuntarily, then felt a jacket cover her. "Hey." Said Max. 

    "This gala is no fun," said Cara.

    "Yeah, I finally got my ex to leave me alone."

    Cara laughed. "I had an encounter with her and Sam." She looked up at him, smiling.

    "Yeah?" His voice was a whisper now.

     She couldn't help but watch his mouth. "Yeah," Her voice now also a whisper.

    Her eyes flickered back to his, and she couldn't breathe. It was as if his eyes were the depths of the universe and she was being sucked in. He slowly bent down and down.

     Then, his lips were pressed against hers. 

    He was kissing her.

    She closed her eyes.

    And kissed him back.

...........................................

    Finally! Oh my god, it took forever to get to this part. Honestly, now I'm glad that this part is over with, which means that we can finally get to the last chapter!! Yes! Thank you to those who have kept with the story for this long. The last chapter will be coming soon, so stay alert. Vote, comment on what you think and have a nice day! 

Also, check out  @TheKateBrown14. She has some great books!

-Brownie :)