Taking Harmony

Wanting to be strong for Lev Ruby didn't want to show how much she was struggling looking after Harmony and trying to juggle work. It showed and Lev knew she was struggling but he thought it was a bump in the road; nothing serious.
Ruby and Lev made a bed on a sofa each for the night. Lev sat down with Ruby as they turned on the TV. "I know your struggling" he said she looked up at him "I'm not struggling, I just was far from ready for this" she said he nodded "I know, nobody expects you to be ready" he said "have you got no mum and dad to be in contact with, after Violette" he asked "I haven't spoken to my mum in years" she said "why not?" He asked "she wasn't the best mum, drug addict, maybe that's how Violette became one, who knows" she said "anyway she's not an addict anymore, if anything we lost touch" she said he nodded "you need someone to help you" he said "your helping me" she said putting her hand on his "I promise, your helping me" she said he turned his hand over and held hers but this time she accepted it. She felt safe with him. They sat back on the sofa watching TV "am I what's best for Harmony?" She asked out of the blue Lev looked at her and nodded surely "yes, yes of course you are!" He said "why would you ever question that?!" He asked "I don't feel like I'm what's best for her" she said tears in her eyes "oh Ruby you love her and that's what's best for her" he said "I do love her so much but I don't know what I'm doing" she said "yes you do, deep down you do" he said "Lev how am I supposed to know how to look after a baby" she said "I didn't know how to look after a baby either until we had our first and I do now, all babies want is food, sleep and a whole lot of love" he said Ruby smiled and Lev hugged her. They just watched TV together chatting until they both fell asleep in each other's arms. Jan walked in the next morning with Harmony and smiled at them. She sat down in the sofa that they weren't using after making a coffee and putting Harmony down in her car seat. Harmony woke up crying 10 minutes later and Jan tried to stop her. "Come on you" she said picking her up and walking out trying not to wake Ruby and Lev.
Lev woke up and moved waking Ruby up "sorry" said Jan bouncing Harmony trying to get her to stop crying Lev moved his arm from around Ruby and she got up slowly smiling at him still sleepy "here" she smiled walking over to Jan, she passed Harmony to her and Ruby sat down in the chair rocking her back and forth Lev smiled at her and Harmony and Jan walked over and sat down next to Lev "Luka is still asleep, Faith is with him" said Jan "how do you know?" He asked nicely "I just checked on him for you" she smiled Lev smiled "thank you, I better get up there" he smiled standing up Jan nodded "thank you Ruby" he said placing a hand on her shoulder Ruby smiled and shook her head as he walked off.
As he left there was a knock on the ambulance station door "I'll get it" said Jan she walked over and answered the door nobody ever knocked nobody ever visited only the paramedics. She opened the door and saw a woman standing there maybe in her 50s. "Hello" she smiled "hi, I was just wondering if Ruby was here?" She asked "she is, can I ask who you are sorry" she said "I'm her mum, Lavender" she said holding out her hand Jan shook it and let her in "she's just to the left" she said. She walked into the staff room and Ruby looked up, she froze she didn't know what to say. "Ruby" said Jan "Ruby" said her mum tears in her eyes. She didn't know what to say, she hadn't seen her for 3 years. "Okay, what's going on?" Asked Jan "nothing" said Ruby holding Harmony to her chest "so this is the baby?" She asked "her names Harmony" she said "I am sorry" she said Ruby shook her head "no your not" she said "your only here because of what happened to Violette" she said her mum sat down with her "I'll give you some space" said Jan "no, no stay" said Ruby Jan didn't know what to say she just stood and watched "Ruby, sweetheart" she said "no, what do you want?" She asked "I want to make sure your alright" she said "I'm fine, I've had to be haven't i?" She said tears in her eyes "just leave I'm fine, we're fine" she said looking at Harmony "why don't you come into my office for a cup of coffee" said Jan trying to get her away from Ruby she nodded and stood up slowly following Jan. Ruby just sat talking to a babbling Harmony.
In Jans office:
They were sitting chatting "is she coping?" Asked Lavender "she struggled for a bit, she still is taking on a baby that isn't yours and then having to keep coming to work to pay for everything, trying to find a house and doing it on your own at 22 is scary and difficult but she's coping she's had to" said Jan "what do you mean taking on a baby that isn't hers?" She questioned "you thought she was Ruby's?" She asked Lavender nodded "no, no she's not Ruby's she's Violettes and she wanted Ruby to look after her she's going to apply to adopt her" she said "oh my god" she said "I thought you knew that, how did you even know about her?" She asked "Violette told me Ruby had a baby" she said "okay calm down you know the truth now" she said "she can't look after her, the guilt she must be feeling letting her sister die" she said "and taking care of her baby" she said "how can you say that, she didn't let Violette die she wanted nothing but the best for her, she was looking after Harmony until Violette got back on her feet and she could take her back, she did all of this for Violette and her baby!" She said "she's too young she can't look after a baby" she said walking out. "Ruby" she said sternly. "She's Violettes!" She said "did you think she was mine? I don't even have a partner!" She said "why don't I take her, the guilt you must be feeling after letting your sister die" she said Ruby didn't know what to say "no" was all that left her mouth "no" she said again "it's what's best for the baby" she said "no it's not I love her, that's more than you could even give me" she said Lavender didn't know what to say. "Can you leave us alone please, go home, I've coped for this long without you" she said Ruby stood up and held Harmony to her chest "auntie Ruby's got you, don't worry" she said quietly "your making me out to be some kind of monster" she said "your not a monster but you are nasty and you aren't a fit mother, and I know I'm not either but she's happy and loved and she's well and I'm happy and that's all that matters" she said "I'm going to check that Lev is okay" she said carrying Harmony up the steps to the hospital. "Who's Lev" asked Lavender "her crew mate, her best friend, his son is dying of a brain tumour" she said "oh no" she said "I think it's best that you leave, Ruby clearly doesn't want you here, honestly she's getting all the help that she needs" she said "I'm not leaving without that baby, she's never been the maternal type she never will be" she said Jan gave her a glance "she loves that baby and that is all that matters she can give her a good home" she said "I just can't believe you" she said "I'll be in my car make sure she sees sense" she said walking out, jan just stood gobsmacked.