XXVIII

"What do you want, Fury?" Charlie asked, keeping her voice low to not cause him to do anything reckless.

He pushed the barrel of the gun harshly into the side of her head, her eyes immediately shutting as she tried to keep from trembling.

"I want my club back," he said lowly. "I was so close to finally going through with my plan, so close to making this the most ruthless fucking club but that ape you call your boyfriend just won't die." Charlie's face went extremely pale, her throat closed from the pressure and a nervous sweat broke on the back of her neck. "I will get my club back and I'll put the Devil six feet under, for good."

"Why are you doing this?"

"Because me and dad have always only wanted this. Years we planned and no matter how many times I sent Frank to his death, he came back; alive. I will no longer be playing the good guy."

Charlie heard the gun click, a gasp escaping her lips. Her eyes shut tightly for the longest time until she realized, he was no longer behind her. She spun around, looking around her frantically, but there was no sight of him. Tears ran down her cheeks as she fell on her knees, panicking.

"Charlie?" Frank called, walking down the stairs. He caught sight of her, knelt down on the floor, and rushed to her side, wrapping an arm around her trembling body. "What's wrong? What happened?"

"Fury," she said breathlessly, looking up at him. "He was here. Fury was here. H-H-He...had a gun." Something within Frank snapped and he quickly pulled her into his chest. She held tightly onto the back of his shirt, tears seeping into his shirt as well. "He said he plans to kill you. The whole time, he's just wanted to kill you."

Frank had no words, he only held her until she calmed down. He was filled with such a burning rage is frightened him. The thought of Charlie in any form of danger scared him but because it was Fury making empty threats, he was angered by it. "Frank this is too dangerous, Fury's got something bigger planned. He's got our dad."

"You mean the alcoholic?" Frank scoffed.

Charlie pulled away, looking up at him. "If they faked his death, who knows what else they faked. I have no clue what's going on anymore, all I know is that my brother has always been a stranger, I've never known a single thing about him."

"They aren't going to take the club away," he assured her, helping her on her feet. "They won't take you away from me, I won't allow it."

Charlie looked up at him with adoration in her eyes, the smallest of smiles on her lips. "I think I like this romantic side of you."

"Romantic? Where?" he asked, wrapping an arm around her waist and pulling her into his chest. "I'm only telling you facts, nothing will take you away from me." She smiled up at him, lifting his mask slightly to kiss his lips. He pulled his mask down, looking her in the eye. "I don't want you alone anymore," he said. "Drake will be with you at all times, when I can't. Understood?"

Charlie wanted to fight against it but after Fury, her own brother, pointed a gun at her head she knew she couldn't nor wouldn't be able to kill her brother, so having someone just to assure her she was safe would ease her mind. 

"We're gonna bump up security until we know what Fury has planned," he also said, rubbing the back of his neck tiredly. "I wish he'd face me instead of being a coward."

"He wants the club," Charlie said, her face still pale from the fact that her own blood had pointed a gun at her head. "Him and my father both, he said it was the plan all along but you kept getting in the way."

"Makes sense why he sent me on death runs."

"He's going to kill you, Frank. He's gonna--"

Frank pulled her into his chest, hugging her tightly. "He won't even get the chance."

Charlie gave him a sad look and his heart could've easily broke. He cupped her face, her eyes pooling with tears yet again. "I don't want anything to happen to you. After the mission with the Angels I just--"

"Cool it, short stuff," he said to her, trying to cheer her up, but no smile spread on her face. He sighed deeply. "I already told you nothing will take me away from you."

"But if I hadn't shown up with the the rest of the crew you would've died, Frank! My brother means what he says, you're in the most danger here. He's only always wanted you dead."

"And how may times has he tried?" Her mouth was sealed shut and she pouted at him. He chuckled lightly, for the first time, her face brightening to that gorgeous smile he fell in love with. "This time isn't anything different."

She sighed heavily, her eyes shutting. "I just don't want anything to happen to you, Frank."

"I'm more worried about you," he told her, ruffling her hair and moving back to the car he had been working on.

"Hey! I'm not the target here, you are!" she said, laughing joyously afterward.

He didn't realize how much he missed that sound in just the short time she had been sad. It was clear to him, he liked her better when she was smiling and laughing and he wasn't going to allow anything or anyone to take that away.

Not even her own brother.

Hello guys! 

I'm very sorry about the long hiatus. I have been struggling with my health, online classes, and, overall, I have not been having much inspiration for any of my books. I hope, though, that I will get right back into updates! Things may continue to be slow but please bear with me!

Thank you all so much for your love and support! Please continue to vote and comment, it helps me out a lot!

With love,
D. M. Brightwell