What a Romantic

_______________________________________

Charlie's P.O.V

"Instagram?"

"Where you can 'heart' titties."

"Ew-"

"Just go on, Charlie."

"Fine ...hmm, Candy Crush?"

"Candy Crush is crack for millennials."

" What in the world, Harry?"

" What else does she have?" he cuts off my dumbfounded gasp. I scroll through the apps on Sydney's phone for the fifth time.

" Urr, ... Facebook?"

"Argh, that's where you check up on your great-grandpa to see if he's dead yet so that you can take your inheritance."

That does it for me. I shake my head. "Ok, you are sick."

"But you love me too much to dare hang up." His curt laugh rings through the speaker. "You haven't mentioned any dating apps yet. Is she on Tinder?"

"What's Tin-" I interrupt myself upon seeing a flame icon.

"Yes, I think?"

"That's probably where she met -" Something falls, and I hear a muffled - "AW! Can't you help?!"

As he grunts some more through the line, I feel dismayed. He shouldn't have to prepare for his party without my help. If not for Sydney being at home, I would have been at his house.

"Charlie, you should see me right now. The only time I have ever sweated this much was when the choirmaster asked me if I masturbated in the dorm."

Oh, I remember that time, but I can't recall what happened next.

"Did you say yes?"

"Ya, " he says, chirpy, " I mean, I couldn't lie while the Messiah's marble eyes were staring into my black soul."

"Your soul is not black." I open the fridge. These days, it is filled with less food and more wine. I grab one bottle and read the card attached to it aloud.

"Sent with love for the most beautiful woman in the world. Xoxo, Danny."

Instantly, Harry gags, making me shake my head as I close the fridge.

"What was that? That's the cringiest thing a guy can say to his girl," Harry says," hey, gotta go. Talk to you later, ya?"

"Ok, bye, Da- sorry, I mean, Harry." My voice goes nasal as I cringe at my attempt at teasing him.

"I hate you," he deadpans," bye."

"What are you doing?" Sydney's voice booms out of nowhere. I jolt.

"Nothing. Here." The phone slips off my palm onto the kitchen counter as she walks in. She sneers, strides behind me, and removes the same wine bottle from the fridge.

"Was that Harry?" Her tone is eerily nonchalant, a warning sign.

I nod. She pours herself a glass, then sits opposite me.

When she stops sipping, the glass lands violently as if she wants to break it.

"In that case, you don't need therapy," she says, eyes darting to me expectantly. I don't know what she wants me to say, so I give her a tight-lipped smile. She smiles back.

"Are you trying to break me? Like your sister did?" That's when rage cracks her voice, sending a shiver up my spine.

"No."