Old times

*Mia's P.O.V*

"Are we having rehearsal tomorrow?"

" Highly unlikely," Kat replies to me, hitting the snare.

"Ya, I have family movie time," Kean mentions, "Easter tradition."

"We should even be relaxing at home instead of this, " Dalia huffs, climbing off stage with Harry's help.

He chuckles, " To be fair, we're not the only ones in school."

As if on cue, we start hearing hoots from the football field. After our disgraceful defeat in basketball, the coaches for other sports have made it their paramount obligation to drill the nonsense out of all sports kids. The football team suffers the worst since their game is next on our school's calendar.

"We could have practised at Anna's." I press, but Harry scowls. "It's too far for Madam Leslie."

"Na-"

" Girl, she's here!" Kat cuts me off. On impulse, Harry pulls our tiny pianist back up, and we all stand like obedient children. The door opens, and Madam Leslie reveals herself and one of the male judges from our audition. We greet them, and she replies," Just call me Leslie, for pete's sake. Anyway, this is Zio. I'm sure you recognise him."

We nod before she continues, "So Kean, Mia, Harry, he'll voice-coach you while I handle the rest of you."

This news earns us three sympathetic smiles from Kat while Dalia sticks out her tongue.

"Y'all think we're worse off?" Kean scoffs as we depart them, "See how he's standing. He's probably nicer."

An hour into our voice training, the seeming cowboy proves her surmise. He lauds us every five minutes, even for our flaws.

"Urm dear," he addresses me, " is your voice has a bit of a scratchy flare. Is it natural?"

"No. It's cold, sir." It's my singing in the club.

"Well, I like it. Keep the cold, then." He grins. When he is not observing, the three of us exchange incredulous looks.

"Oh, and Harry, Kean." Instantly, they compose themselves. He makes hand gestures. "Can you guys retake the bridge?"

For a moment, they awkwardly make eye contact, then start. "And if I ever have regrets..."

"Now come on, boy, we know you can go higher than that. Kean, please hold," the man holds his knees, focusing on Harry. "Especially at 'I ever had', not through the nostrils, but the gut; remember. Ok. One. Two. Sing."

"And if I ever have regrets or a semblance of my love decays..."

Jaws drop.

He opens his eyes afterwards, and Zio shrieks. "Les, you heard that?!"

"Oh, I did!" She laughs between our mesmerised pianist and subtly impressed drummer.

Harry hides his face as if it's obvious he's blushing. Leslie allows a water break, and while we ransack our bags, Kean nudges him. "That was wicked."

"Thanks." He opens his water bottle, acting casually.

"Ya, your voice is great," I chime in.

He gives us a beam, "I guess so ... But like, all this singing will put too much attention on me. A duet will be better. Kean?"

We tilt to her, and she shrugs. "Why not Mia?"

"She's got a cold," he says, sparing me a glance. "Let's still try the bridge together, maybe after rehearsals?"