What in the world

*Charlie's POV*

"Joe- what now?!"

"Joe Yeltsin," I retort, "she's Mia's aunt."

Leo gapes, to my confusion. Then, a strange haze makes him scratch his eyelid.

"What is it?" I ask as he proceeds to the next eyelid.

"Nothing."

"No. Talk to me."

"Do you ..." he sighs, "Do you only know this Joe as your friend's aunt?"

"No. Joe came to me after I called the police on your dad."

"For what?"

"Maria."

Instantly, he freezes. "So she knows my dad killed her?"

"I don't know." I neither asked nor told her anything.

His chest relaxes. Observing this, I add, "Sorry I did not tell you earlier."

"It's ok. I just -"

A knock intrudes. We flinch.

"Mom?" Leo heads for the door instantly. He unlocks it, only to be crashed in triple embraces. I double back, laughing as Leo struggles to free himself.

"Aw-"

"Yo, dude!" Roon turns to me. Then they free Leo and jump on me, too.

"Charlie!!!" Nat hugs me. I squirm as soon as Marvin joins in last, sinking everyone onto the bed.

"Ok, ok, ok. Get off," Leo rasps.

"It's been a while, though, man," Marv quirks at me, "where have you been?"

"Here."

That's when Nat gets up and almost trips on my bathroom slippers. He gasps, "Hey, you guys are living together?!"

"Told ya," says Roon.

Marv makes a tsk-tsk sound. "No wonder the room is so neat."

"Why are you guys here?"

They start yelling different reasons while Leo tries not to stare at me. I wink when he fails the third time, and he hides his face.

"... and Coach wants you to come for practice -"

"Ok, enough, Nat. In fact, all of you." He uncovers a listless mien.

I pinch the bridge of my nose. Let the acting begin.

"Is everything alright, though," Roon questions me.

I blink. "Ur. Just home issues."

"Aww." Noah throws a hand over my shoulder. "Good thing we're here to cheer you up."

On that note, they manage to convince me and Leo to go out with them. We fill Marvin's ride and journey to a children's park. Relaxing in the sun, we eat cotton candy and spring random chinwags about anything and everything. I sneak glances at Leo occasionally, and he acts like them - like the biggest problem in his life is how to win their next game. After some hours of joking and taking pictures, we hit the road again. I request that they drop me off at Sydney's since they are going to their school.

"I'll buy you a burner," Leo sneakily whispers when we reach my destination. I don't know what that is, but I say thanks before bidding all of them goodbye. As they drive away, I feel a shrill emptiness.

Sydney's car is here, so she must be home. I knock softly. She opens her door with a grin that immediately falls upon seeing it's me.

"You," she sighs. I stare at her. Six seconds pass.