17: A Burial at Ornans - Gustav Courbet

RAIN SPRINKLED DOWN the sky with a pitter patter from the sky covered in white with grey, sad clouds. She was glad she'd taken the bus than the moped on her return to school. It was kind of annoying that Musutafu was on the verge of a storm when the other day it was sunny and everything.

(L/n) kept her head down and raised her hood under her uniform, feeling tired after staying up last night to catch up on work. Books had never been her forte, and she hated reading. All this trouble just to pass a class.

"Oh wow! It's amazing how those kids did in the competition!" she heard some passengers say.

"Even the one that broke his own body, that's crazy! I'd never be able to do that!" replied another.

"There was also those two fellas who could harden their bodies! They were so fierce!"

(L/n) quietly rose her head, but didn't try to do anything. It was good her classmates were getting recognized and praised; they probably would've been called out in public like celebrities. No one had mentioned her though, which slightly disappointed her, as selfish as that sounded.

If she wasn't getting recognized for her strength or abilities, there wasn't really any point in her having have participated after all, just like she thought. What a pain.

"There was also that water girl, remember!"

Her ears perked up.

"Oh, riiiight... But she wasn't as strong as I thought. I was betting for sure she'd take that explosion guy down!" said someone with a frustrated tone.

"For real! It ended quicker than I thought too," someone scoffed. "What a waste of a Quirk. How'd she get third place anyway?"

Ah. (L/n)'s aura shifted dramatically to a huge gloomy storm, and a minute later, everyone avoided sitting next to her on the bus.

A waste of a Quirk. Unlikely to get third place. Those were interesting points made without any real evidence, but still, she had to think it over.

(L/n) herself knew she didn't try tremendously hard, or as hard as the the others like Midoriya and Todoroki and Kirishima. She didn't particularly care for Bakugou, but could acknowledge his effort.

Oh well. She didn't care for changing her ways either, she was fine where she was. It didn't matter what people said, because they couldn't deny she wasn't as bad as she could be, even with how shallow such a remark would be.

She sensed somebody's presence beside her, and turned slightly.

"Ah-You're (L/n) from 1-A, right?" said the person with a tint of shy alacrity, who was a scrawny blond man in oversized clothes.

Hm. He had a sense of familiarity to him, but she knew she'd never met him. Maybe she'd gotten him confused for someone else, he seemed like an ordinary Sports Festival aficionado.

Her lips curved upwards to greet him. "Yes, that's me," she answered and pulled down her hood to seem more polite. She had her new glasses, so she didn't worry too much about her eye bags and other things as much.

"Ah, that's great! I, er, watched you during the festival! You did great out there, Young (L/n)!" the stranger clapped his hands together with a sheepish grin. His form was reminiscent of a skeleton, but in a comforting way. He appeared friendly, even with his scruffy hair and dark eyes.

"Thank you very much, sir," she nodded to him. "I'm honored you think so."

"Of course! Your potential is outstanding, Young (L/n)! I'm sure some day you'll be unstoppable!" he made playful punching motions with a determined expression.