-StarWars-

ooo

Luke had curled himself up in the only comfortable chair the sparsely furnished suite provided. He had pushed the chair as close as possible to the view pane so he could gaze down on the vast city stretching out in front of him. He could get lost in staring at it and all he wanted to do now was rest.

But the Imperials clearly had something else in mind than to leave him in peace. All too soon a sharp knock on his door interrupted the peace of the apartment. An aide stood in the door, a huge bundle of fabric under his arms. Luke eyed him with a frown as he dropped his load on the bed.

"Put this on."

"Why?"

"Because Lord Vader commanded so," the aide snapped back. His voice left little room for argument. "I can stay to help you in case you need assistance."

Luke sighed. He didn't like it, but there was little use in fighting this. "Fine," he conceded. "I'll put them on."

The aide hovered annoyingly.

"Do you mind?" Luke gestured mildly to the door.

Finally, with a sour glance, the man left and Luke gave the neatly wrapped dark garments a closer look. He unfolded the bundle. Two metal braces fell out and landed on the bed. Luke picked them up. He had seen something like them before. His adoptive father wore such vambraces with the formal style he favored. Luke picked up one of them and brushed his finger over the cool metal, thinking of all the times he had helped his father put them on.

It dawned on him where this was going.

Sure enough, when he had finished putting the garments on, Luke went to the fresher to examine his reflection in the large mirror. It was a tunic with a high collar, formal pants, a woolen cape draping over his right shoulder, and the vambraces covering the lower arms. He had seen his father wear this kind of clothing often. It was an echo of the ceremonial wear of the Alderaanian knights of old, when Alderaan hadn't yet been the peaceful planet that it was now. Except where Bail Organa favored lighter, brighter colors, these garments were pitch black and grey and they were adorned with the Imperial cog, stitched into the hem of the cape and stamped on the vambraces and the buckle of the belt.

It was a deliberate provocation, fabricated by the Emperor, Luke was sure of it. Palpatine was certainly enjoying himself, having Luke decked out like a small and twisted Imperial version of his father to be paraded around on Vader's leash for the galaxy's dignitaries to see.

He glared at his own reflection.

But that wasn't the only change he could spot in himself. It hadn't struck him as much in the small mirror that hung in the fresher on board the Executor , but here Luke thought that his face looked slimmer and definitely paler than he used to look in the happier days on Alderaan. But it wasn't just that. Maybe it was just the time that had passed, but Luke couldn't help the feeling that he had changed in many ways. He felt like he had lost the lightheartedness and carefreeness that he was sure he had possessed before.

Would he ever regain it? For a long as the Emperor lived, he'd remain a prisoner of that cursed despot and sometimes Luke doubted that Vader had a truly vested interest in disposing of the Emperor and letting him go.

Luke ran a hand through his hair, hoping to mess up the still much too short, no-nonsense cut. He needed to chase away such dim thoughts. They wouldn't help him tonight.

Luke picked at the black tunic. It was wider cut than the usual ones he had been provided on the Executor . A grin stole over Luke's face. The Emperor sought to show him and his father up, but it would serve Luke just right. The tunic provided ample space to tuck the lightsaber and safely hide it from prying eyes, and the woolen cape would cover any treacherous bulge.