Goemon x F!Reader: Arts and Crafts

--Authors Note: Requested by @slowdancers we have a Goemon story here! Not gonna lie, out of the main characters Goemon would probably make the best partner. He's just so darn sweet when he wants to be, and probably one of the most morally upright, which says a lot! I guess I should mention, I'm actually in the planning process for a lengthier (I mean Sapphire levels of story) Goemon x Reader! Hopefully when that's done, you can read it too, but for now here's this.--

"Carve a dove next!" You clapped in joy.

Goemon huffed as you sat another chunk of wood before him. "Zantetsuken is not for such trivial tasks." You pushed it closer, having known him long enough to catch on to the fact that he exaggerated the real dignity of his weapon.

Luckily, you still had an explanation ready. "A dove is a symbol of peace and prosperity. It's good for Big Z to carve things like this!"

Goemon sighed and readied his katana, then froze and stared at you silently. "Did you just call it 'Big Z?'"

"Dove! Dove! Dove!" you chanted, ignoring his question.

He sighed, a sliver of a smile peeking through his otherwise annoyed expression. He stooped, angling his feet, and opened the sheath while leaping forward. It was a motion you'd seen more times than you could count by now, but it never ceased to amaze. Sometimes you thought if he so much as touched the hilt that the nearest object would slice itself out of fear.

It took a little longer than his usual slices and dices, of course. A left swing, a short right, upwards, and back down. Make no mistake, it was still incredible timing for such an ornate sculpture. Finally, his sword stopped, and he bent back to the ground to return it to its covering. He opened his mouth, and you knew exactly what phrase was about to come out, so you quickly assessed the statue aloud.

"He looks really good."

"Actually, it is a she. The flattened head makes the difference."

Looking at the wooden sculpture, you could see a little of what he meant. It had a less broad chest, and was tinier overall, but you just assumed that was a sizing choice on his end.

"Figures, you would have made a pretty girl if I didn't specify." He sputtered in a mix of defense and embarrassment, and you laughed and patted his shoulder. "I'm kidding!" Even though it was solid wood, it was small enough that your little dove wasn't heavy, so you picked her up and looked closer. "The feathers are so small! How did you do it?"

"Ah... Well...?" Goemon didn't seem sure either. He just DID things and they seemed to work out for him.

You traced your finger along the curve of the feathers, minding the rough patches of the wood to avoid splinters. You realized that, subconsciously maybe, Goemon had carved the feathers around her head into a pattern that mimicked the curve of your own hair, and that the tiny beak reflected a lighthearted smile not too far from your own.

"The resemblance is definitely there," you whispered.

"What?"

"Nothing." You had an idea. "She's very pretty."

"She is. As you said, doves are a symbol of peace. It only made sense for her appearance to resemble that."

You leaned closer to him, grinning wider. "Remind you of anyone?"

He cast his eyes aside, unable to contain his own smile. "Lovely, yes. Peaceful, hardly."

"Oh, Goemon!" You scolded him and pushed his arm away, making him laugh. Any brief offense melted away as soon as you heard that noise. It was rare, though increasingly more common, to see him smile so brightly for so long, but it was a regular blue moon when he laughed.

By this point in your relationship, you'd realized you could find exactly how happy or displeased Goemon was with a situation merely by looking at clues on his face. It was easy to tell he was normally happy when he was with you, but sometimes, loud, in your face reminders like a cheerful laugh were the most important parts of your time together.

You grabbed one of the many discarded pieces of sandpaper around the chair where you sat. This was his third masterpiece so far, so you'd taken it upon yourself to sand his works. "What should we do with her?"

"She would be a nice mantlepiece."

"Goemon, I don't think I've SEEN a single mantle in years."

"What do they hang above fireplaces if not a mantle?"

Goemon. Poor, sweet Goemon. "Indoor heating ventilation." That clicked for him.

"What about... In the car? On the dashboard."

That could work. It would probably slide around a lot, but it was nothing a little putty couldn't fix. "We'd have to grab her before it caught on fire or something. That happens a lot."

"Between the two of us, I'm sure she's in no danger."

You held up the sanded dove. "Okay, she's ready for the last part. Where's that sealing stuff?"

Goemon's face soured. "Would you like to take a guess?"

You frowned. This was the fourth time Fujiko had taken that stuff to seal her nail polish. You explained countless times it would probably ruin her nails, but she said it was stronger, and the only stuff that could handle her 'line of work.'

Secretly, you wanted to try yourself.

"No honor among thieves," you muttered.

"It took you a while to learn that," Goemon replied.

You shook your head. "Come on. If we're lucky she hasn't left the country with it."

Without prompting, Goemon took your hand. It was warm and comfortable compared to the sole company of the rough sculpture. You smiled contentedly before remembering you were on a mission now. Truly, no power beat the power of love.

Except for maybe the united attack against Fujiko's dangerous fashion habits.