Fujiko x Reader: In The Ink

--Author's Note: We got another request from @AleishaFerard! In this one, Fujiko goes with the reader to get their first tattoo, simple but cute! I kept the details of the reader's tattoo vague aside from where it is, so feel free to imagine your own design!--

You squeezed the arms of your chair in the waiting area, the dim lights above only making the room look more imposing. Based on the shriek and grumble next to you, you assumed the one arm was actually attached to someone else.

"When was the last time you cut your nails?" Fujiko muttered, rubbing her forearm.

"I could ask you that too," you joked. Any confidence in your reply back was undermined by the sweat on the back of your neck.

You'd asked her to come with you, since it was a special occasion; your first tattoo! Fujiko hardly seemed scared of anything, and you hoped with her company, you'd be braver too. However, the longer you had to wait, the more that confidence melted away. The artist just had one more job to finish, but man was it taking long! Were they getting a full sleeve in one day or what?!

"I know it hurts, but how bad? Is it constant, or just sometimes it stings?"

Fujiko looked aside with a nervous grin. "Why are you asking me?"

"Well..." you were embarrassed to admit your assumption now. "I kinda imagined you had one, maybe. Or a few."

She bristled. "What?! Me? I'm above it! I wouldn't--" She stopped short. "I have some."

You giggled at her outburst. "Why lie?"

At first, she furrowed her brow and looked you up and down, as if scanning for sincerity. It seemed she'd forgotten where in the world she was for a moment, before she realized it was fine to publicly explain. "In Japan, tattoos are associated with gangs."

Your eyes widened and your lips tightened. Ah. That explained her hesitance to admit. "So you...?"

"Only once or twice! I used to have one stuck on the back of my hand, but I got that taken off. At least the other tattoos look nice compared to that one." She scooted closer to you and took off a lineup of expensive bracelets, facing her wrist upwards. Your eyes traced the outline of the heart, a distorted skull shaped inside it.

You smiled. "It's a little corny."

"I know," she said back with equal amusement. "It goes nicely with my... Attitude. And it's easy to hide."

Your name was called from the desk, startling you. You turned to Fujiko nervously, but her smile eased you to get up and follow them further into the parlor. You sat on the chair, the plastic clinging to the back of your arms. Since this was your first one, you'd decided to go for a meatier area, your shoulder, so it would hurt less. As a result, a tank top was necessary, but the summer heat meant clinging to everything plastic, a.k.a., half of the interior of this shop.

"What are you getting?" Fujiko asked you after you'd had the appropriate discussion with the artist.

"You know what I'm--"

"Just talk to me." You nervously side-eyed the needle, no, WEAPON that was about to poke your arm.

"I'm having second thoughts."

"Oh? But we've come so far, sweetheart!"

"Yeah, but it's a serious commitment, isn't it? They say you're supposed to wait a year thinking about having a design in a specific spot before going and getting it done."

"You waited two. The design barely changed."

The shoulder in question seemed to freeze after the artist calmly told you they were going to start, taking your arm carefully so it wouldn't shift about. You almost started to call it quits, but Fujiko drew your attention back to her.

"You'll regret it if you don't do it now. You know you've put this off for so long already!" You did know that. "If you don't do this now, it might take a while for you to build that courage back up. And frankly, I don't want to be here twice." She leaned sideways to look at the artist. "No offense to you."

"None taken."

"But what if I'm allergic to the ink?"

She twisted her face in a half-smile, half-grimace. "Does that happen?"

The artist butted in. "Yes, actually."

"Oh God, it does?" you muttered. You had made it up as an excuse, you didn't realize it was a REAL threat.

"It's uncommon."

"And if it does, we can get you treated or whatever."

"What if--"

"I swear, next time I'm sedating you."

Your argument, always lighthearted on Fujiko's end, continued throughout the process. Eventually the conversation turned away from your anxious demeanor, and you found yourself in no rush to get out now. Every now and then, you'd feel a prick that particularly hurt, almost like periodical stings, but it was never enough to make you want to turn away from Fujiko.

Maybe she was right. Maybe you really had been overthinking it. If you weren't doing this now, when WERE you going to do it? It was best with her. Most things were.

"Alright Cowardly Lion, you've finally found your courage." The artist pulled a mirror to your side, showing you your fresh tattoo. It was reassuring to see it finished, but you started to frown at the red lining it.

Fujiko must have realized the source of your uncertainty, because she waved it off. "The skin is irritated. It happens, love, don't worry." With a little reassurance, you nodded.

They wiped your shoulder for what felt like the fifth time thus far, and covered it in a bandage. "You want a lollipop too?"

You didn't find it too funny, but Fujiko laughed. "I'll take you for ice cream since you were so brave." Alright, that didn't sound too bad, honestly.

Your arm was sore, and you knew it would hurt for days after. But... Was it so bad, with her there? As you exited the building and made for the ice cream shop, she took your untouched hand in hers. No, it wasn't so bad after all.