7 - Changeup

Changeup: A changeup or a change is a pitch meant to look like a fastball - but with less velocity - short for change of pace.

Present day...

When Kenzie entered the house into the kitchen, she found Maisy on her father's lap laughing. Betsy was fixing herself a cup of coffee and turned to Kenzie to see if she wanted one.

"Hey Kenze, Maisy-girl is trying to convince me to take her to see Jett play. Do you want to come?"

"I don't know Dad. Maybe when school's out." Maybe if she could handle being friends with him.

She couldn't help but smile at Maisy. Her father was a great dad raising the two of them on his own from when they were toddlers. With Maisy, it was as if he was her grandfather.

Kenzie wanted to erase the image of Maisy in Jett's arms. She was a little peanut and fit perfectly on their laps, but she looked even smaller being held by his strong arms. She flashed back to the day she was born. The pink bundle looked tiny in his arms.

Betsy asked, "Tell me what's new with you?"

"Not much. A few more weeks of school, so things are busy."

"And your young man?"

"Brandon's fine. We see each other a few times a week. I'll probably see him later."

She watched her father frown and wondered if he had a problem with Brandon. It wouldn't surprise her, but she ignored him and asked, "Where's Kim?"

"Away for the weekend with her boyfriend."

She wanted to ask about her friend's boyfriend, but with Maisy there it wasn't the best idea. The way Betsy's eyes met her father made her concerned.

Kenzie watched as Betsy began filling the sink with soapy water. The dishes meant her dad had fed Jett his famous pancakes.

Casually, Coach said, "Leave it, Bets. I'll get to it when you've gone."

"It's fine. I don't mind, Sean. Maybe you can take Maisy to play catch."

"You coming, Kenzie?" Maisy asked, jumping down.

"Give me a few minutes." As soon as the door slammed, she asked, "Tell me what's going on."

Betsy sighed, "Her guy is bad news. We fought because I told her I didn't want him around Maisy."

Kenzie sighed. She had kids in school with worse mothers than Kim, but she was Kenzie's best friend. She wasn't really, but it was an honorary title that was on hold until she straightened herself out.

"What's she into?"

Betsy shook her head. "What isn't she into?"

"What's she like with Maisy?"

"You know she comes home for a few days and plays mommy. Same as it's always been. She just confuses Maisy."

"I can help out this summer. Maybe she can come have some sleepovers to give you a break."

"That would be nice. I'm not sure what I'd do without your father."

"He's a good neighbor."

Betsy nodded and Kenzie stood to go play catch with her father and Maisy.

Brandon arrived at her apartment in late afternoon. She had been busy organizing the student assessments she had done the week before. She loved teaching first grade, because of the enormous growth most children experienced. They started the year having just finished Kindergarten and ended the year reading.

"Hey, baby." He brushed her lips. "Want to go out?"

She shrugged, but the truth was she wanted to stay home and watch the game.

He sighed. "We can stay in, but next week we're going out."

"You can go out. I don't mind." Sadly, she really didn't.

"Nah, I'd rather be with you. Maybe you'll let me stay over."

"Maybe." Her answer lacked enthusiasm, if he noticed he didn't comment.

Chinese delivery and the ball game made the perfect evening.

"What's wrong with him? He should have hit that changeup!"

Brandon was not happy when Jett struck out the second time.

"He fouled off some good pitches." Kenzie wished she hadn't said that. She was usually the one critiquing everything he did.

"Why are you defending him? You're the one who argued with him over dinner."

She couldn't admit he promised her a home run. If she had a way to reach him, she'd tell him to forget it. Instead, she held her breath during his next at bat. When she heard the crack of the bat, she watched as the ball sailed. The minute Jett knew he had enough on it, he smiled and she froze when he tapped over his heart three times. He used to do that for her, but not in a very long time.

Recovering from the shock, she said, "I told you."

"Ah, he just got lucky."

Only two people knew that wasn't luck, he intended it. She took her phone into the bathroom and texted, Okay, let's try friends.

As soon as the game was over, Brandon said, "Come on. It's Saturday night."

That sounded like something Sandra would complain about in her marriage. Predictable, boring sex and they weren't even married.  She was in bed with Brandon when a text came through.