8 - Save

Save: In baseball statistics, save is the successful maintenance of a lead by a relief pitcher, usually the closer, until the end of the game.

Seven years ago...

"There's gonna to be lots of guys, right?" Kim asked.

"Yes, it's a baseball party."

"So Ben will be there?"

"Yeah, but he has a girlfriend, so hands off."

Kim had been in love with Ben since ninth grade. Unfortunately, Ben wasn't interested. "She's like a sister and... Well, it would be the same if you liked Jett."

The problem was after Kenzie joined her brother and Jett at Boston College, she decided she liked Jett not that it mattered unless he wanted to give up baseball. She had only just figured out he liked her as a human, so there was no way he had any interest in her.

"He can't have a girlfriend." Kimmy looked sad as if he were cheating on her.

"Come on Kimmy. You have zero chance of marrying Ben."

Kimmy huffed. "Maybe I'll try my luck with Jett." Kenzie glared at her. Kim was the only person alive who knew Kenzie was lusting after the hair puller. Kim laughed. "The look on your face is priceless. I won't go near your man, but someday I'm gonna have Ben. He's meant for me. I need him and he'll take care of me."

Kenzie cringed, because her words reminded Kenzie too much of her own mother. She needed men and had more husbands than Kenzie could keep track of. Every time the hubby's career washed up, she found a new one.

The two girls shivered in the winter cold. At least Kenzie had jeans on. Kim was wearing a short skirt that showed off a lot of her freezing legs. More leg than Kenzie had at five-five. It was just as well they were heading to a house full of baseball players because Kenzie never had a chance with the tall, blonde as her sidekick.

"Maybe there will be a regular guy for you." Kim offered. Regular meant not a ballplayer, because her father had forbidden her from dating players.

It was a short walk to the off-campus house where the party was being held. Kenzie knew every guy on the team and pushed right through the long line of students hoping to get in.

The smell of beer was everywhere. Kenzie hated beer and rarely drank anything. She had scholarships and didn't need to screw it up. Players with red solo cups in their hands were giving her high fives. If she couldn't date them, they may as well be friends. She saw her brother with a cup in his hand and his girl, Emily, attached to him. He wasn't happy to see her and Kimmy. He was a jerk and a rat. She could go to a baseball party, if she wanted to.

Kim stared intently at Ben before helping herself to a beer and offered one to Kenzie. When she shook her head, Kimmy pouted. Her friend hadn't continued school after graduation. She was working at the local Walgreens bragging that they wanted her to go into the management training program. Kenzie knew that might get her a raise, but not a career like college would. Although she would probably make more than Kenzie would as a teacher.