22 - Stance

Stance: When a hitter steps into the batter's box, he typically stands a few inches from home plate with one shoulder facing the pitcher's mound. His particular manner of bending his knees or holding his bat is referred to as the batter's stance or hitting stance.

 His particular manner of bending his knees or holding his bat is referred to as the batter's stance or hitting stance

Seven years ago...

The draft was an incredibly anxious exercise when nerves and excitement mingle. The waiting with the TV on watching others being chosen was torture. Everyone heard the announcement on the television, but before that the prospect received a phone call. They may have been watching the TV, but they were really waiting for Ben's phone to ring. He had done all he could and had a great spring. The stands were littered with scouts for some of the best teams in baseball.

Kenzie screamed. Coach shouted and Ben sat stunned. "Third round, son. I'm so proud."

Kenzie wondered what happened to the man angry at Ben for not finishing school. Jett had a huge smile and hugged his best friend. Kenzie wondered if he wished it was him. There was a frenzy of activity for days as news outlets wanted interviews and agents tried to represent him. The obvious choice was a guy who washed up with Coach and made a career for himself representing players. Her father trusted him.

Once the excitement died down, Kenzie found Jett sitting alone in the backyard. No one had touched a ball in days. "You wanna catch?" He shrugged. "You'll have your shot too. You're good enough." He shrugged again.

She desperately wanted to hug him. He needed a hug, but he would probably push her away. She turned and walked back in the house.

Even after something as exciting as being drafted into Major League Baseball life continued. Coach was finishing up the high school season and Jett went with him to practice most days.

Jett would be leaving soon to play summer ball on The Cape. In previous summers, Kenzie and her father would take trips to see Ben's games. She didn't think they would bother to see Jett this summer.

The day before Jett was scheduled to leave, he went to talk to Kimmy about seeing a doctor. Kenzie never expected him to get involved with Kim's mess, but was glad when he did. It was a lot to handle on her own.

They sat awkwardly after deciding to be friends listening for commotion from next door. Unless Kim lied to get rid of Jett, she should have told her mother she was pregnant.

Betsy had been home from work for a good half hour and Kenzie had started pacing. She was as anxious as she had been waiting on the draft.

Finally she said, "Let's get out of here."

"Where to?" He smirked with his eyebrows arched.

"Come on."

She had never driven Jett before. They'd ridden in the same car plenty, but it felt weird to be alone with him. It had only been a few hours since they declared themselves friends. Friends didn't normally have the urge to touch the hand resting on his muscular thigh. Friends didn't blush thinking about developed body parts.