31 - Shift

Shift: Where all infielders and/or outfielders position themselves clockwise or counter-clockwise from their usual position. This is to anticipate a batted ball from a batter who tends to hit to one side of the field.

 This is to anticipate a batted ball from a batter who tends to hit to one side of the field

Present day...

When Coach suggested they take Maisy outside Jett wanted to kiss him. He felt like he was suffocating in that house. The sadness was everywhere, and no one spoke above a whisper.

He felt a lot of things and not all of them were healthy. If it wasn't for this little girl, he would think Kimmy's life was a fucking waste. That wasn't true, because people loved her. He never loved her. Everything he did for her, he did for Maisy and perhaps Kenzie. He used to think if he took care of Kimmy then maybe Kenzie would forgive him. Until this spring, he had spent six years staying out of her way. He thought of her boyfriend at her side through the funeral. He knew seeing them together, seeing him kiss her was his penance for what he did to her. He wasn't a religious guy, but he knew he deserved it all.

While his teammates were out drinking and picking up women, he was working out. He didn't want another woman. He couldn't even imagine touching one. He deserved it, but every time he heard Kenzie was dating, it was like a stab to his heart. Her father and brother would occasionally mention it in conversation, but Kimmy, oh Kimmy, would tell him directly.

For the past six years his life had been about the game and nothing else, except his goddaughter and her junkie mother. Damn, that Kim!

Kenzie came out and cheered Maisy on. Jett had to look away when she helped fix her stance. His emotions were all over the place. He should mourn Kimmy, but he was mourning Kenzie instead.

By the time, they returned from the yard most of the guests had left. Maisy climbed on her grandmother's lap and he watched as Betsy's eyes followed Coach into the room. He felt a tinge of resentment that Coach could have whatever he had with Betsy, but Jett had lost his love. It pained him he wasn't the one by Kenzie's side today.

What's his name had left, so Jett was the one driving her home. He looked over at her. Her mouth was smiling at Maisy, but her eyes showed her true feelings. Was she as angry as he was?

There was a rap on the door and being the closest, he went to answer it.

"I hope it's okay that I came by."

"Come on in, Tony."

He was in uniform. "I can only stay for a moment."

He spoke quietly to Betsy, but on the way out he shook Jett's hand. "I know how hard you tried. You know it was always about her."

Jett had done everything money could do for Kimmy. He bailed her out and sent her to rehab. Tony had arrested her and one of her sleazy guys for petty theft. Jett had the charges dropped by sending her to rehab. From the moment he met Tony, who had been in school with Kim, it was obvious he cared. He looked out for her and brought her home many times.