37 - Extra Innings

Extra Innings: Additional needed to determine a winner if a game is tied after nine . It is sometimes, but not commonly, referred to as "overtime" on other team sports.

 It is sometimes, but not commonly, referred to as "overtime" on other team sports

Two years later...

The late afternoon sun was bright. She sat in her seat by the home dugout and wore her husband's jersey. Her father was at the protective netting talking to Ben who had been traded to Boston in a last-minute deal before the deadline. It was a tossup who was more excited — Ben, Jett or Coach. The family was there for his first game in the hometown team uniform.

She laughed as Ben looked her way and rolled his eyes.

"Why're you laughing?" Maisy asked.

"Poppy-Coach is annoying Uncle Ben."

"Why Nanny?" Maisy turned to Betsy.

"Because Uncle Ben has his own coach," Betsy replied.

Kenzie smiled at her step-mother. Betsy and her father were very happy together and Kenzie should know. She had become the expert on happiness.

It was a bit of a media circus because the newest player was the brother-in-law of the team's popular catcher. Jett had reminded anyone who would listen he and Ben had played together in high school and college.

Kenzie stood as she saw Jett walking toward her father and Ben. He was smiling, and she knew it was for her or she thought it was until she noticed his gaze shift lower. Maisy was in step behind her.

"You going to hit one for me?"

Laughing, he said, "I'll try, but I'm not gonna strike out trying."

"What about me, daddy?" Maisy asked.

She had been living with them since their wedding, but just recently had started calling them mommy and daddy.

Betsy had relinquished guardianship to them and they were adopting her. It would be final before her baby brother arrived.

Jett looked at Kenzie with love and she reached out to touch his arm through the protective netting.

"Did some baseball player knock you up?"

"Don't worry. I know who he is." She teased.

"You better!"

Ben joined in. "I can't believe my little sister is having your baby."

"Hey man, she's my wife. Come on, we've got to go. Bye Maise." He waved to Maisy and blew a kiss to Kenzie.

Grand Slam: a homerun that is hit with the bases loaded

Three months later...

The team made it to the playoffs but lost in the division series. Jett was competitive, but he had a far greater achievement to look forward to.

He kissed his daughter's forehead after reading and tucking her in.

"I like when you're home."

"I know. Me too, but I also like baseball. I'm home for a while and soon we'll have our baby."

"How soon?"

"Very soon. Nanny will stay with you because the baby's coming."

"I want to go."

"You'll see mommy and the baby as soon as he's here. Hopefully tomorrow."

He was proud of himself for sounding so calm when he felt like a nervous wreck. The pains had started and Kenzie was pacing downstairs. She was the calm one telling him they had plenty of time.

Some days he couldn't believe his luck and he didn't mean his career. Finding his way back to Kenzie was his biggest achievement, but that was about to change. Still, he didn't realize just how unhappy he had been until he found true happiness.

Ten hours later and a very long night, he was never more proud of Kenze. He kissed her forehead. "Thank you for our son, for forgiving me, and for our family."

The nurse handed him his son and said, "He looks like a pitcher."

Jett swelled with pride. "I'll be his catcher."

He looked down at the life they had created and felt an intense love for him. He brought him to Kenzie. "Remember the day Maisy was born."

"You kissed me."

He smiled. "I did, but it was the day we met our daughter and today our son."

He had once wondered if he'd love his own child more than Maisy. She was his child just like his son who was a part of him and his wife.

Christopher Jett felt as if he had just hit a grand slam.

Thank you for going on Jett and Kenzie's journey with me.  We will see them again.  They will crossover with a story in The Wish Series.

Be sure to follow me to find out what is new.

See my profile for more stories and series.