34 - Curve Ball

Curve Ball: A that curves or breaks from a straight or expected flight path toward . Also called simply "a curve".

 Also called simply "a curve"

Present day...

It didn't matter how mad he was at Kimmy or sorry for upsetting Kenzie, because he was back behind the plate the day after the funeral. His game wasn't stellar, but most people wouldn't really notice. Although they were probably looking for it since his bereavement leave was common knowledge.

Allie had a big hug for him and he happily went into her comforting arms. When they pulled away, she asked, "How's Kenzie? I know how close she is to that little girl."

"She's... I'm not sure it is hard on everyone. I know she's angry."

Allie nodded. "I had a brother. Maybe I should call her again."

"Again?" It surprised Jett to hear the two were still in contact.

"Of course, I'll invite her over for lunch again." She walked away, as she said it as if it was the most expected thing in the world. How had she and Kenzie become so friendly?

On Saturday morning, he woke up early for pancakes. He needed to carve out time for himself. His teammates were waking up with their wives. He had heard more stories about the kids jumping on the bed. Jett woke up in his empty bed in a house that was much too big for him. His train of thought could easily leave him depressed, just as the thought of Kenzie waking up with what's his name always did.

Would he see her? He was afraid to make her cry again.

The minute he pulled in the driveway, he saw her run out the door. She must have been waiting for him.

"Jetty, Jetty." She jumped into his outstretched arms.

Her little arms clung to his neck, and she squeezed him.

He said, "I missed you."

"I don't want you to go to heaven with mommy."

His heart wept. "Your mommy was very sick. Do I look sick?"

She looked at his face intently. "No!" Then she giggled which was his favorite sound.

"Do you want to come eat pancakes?" Jett asked. When she nodded, he said, "Let's go tell Nanny."

He carried her to her house and found Betsy pulling clothes from the dryer. She turned to see him and whispered, "Jett."

He shifted Maisy, so he had a free arm to hug her. "You, okay?"

She nodded. "At least, I don't have to wait for the dreaded phone call, because it came."

He nodded. For a second, he thought of the draft and how his whole life changed with one phone call. Poor Betsy.

"Can she come have pancakes?"

"I'm heading over too."

He saw some color in her cheeks.

"Hey Betsy, why the secret?" He asked, feeling bold.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

He smiled. "So you and Coach are just neighbors?"

"Oh!"

He laughed. "That's what I thought."

He turned and carried Maisy next door. As they entered Coach's house, she called out. "Coach, I got Jetty!"

"I think I have you." He tickled her, and she laughed before he reluctantly set her on her feet.

"Sit down. Just in time I have a stack ready."

"Your lady friend is coming too." Jett said to see how he reacted.

"Maisy-girl, how many pancakes?"

"Come on, Coach. Why the secret?"

He sighed. "Kimmy mostly. My reputation is important and with her arrests, I couldn't be linked."

"Like me?" Jett had heard more false statements about him and Kim.

"Yeah, but this is a small town."

He nodded. "I get it, but things are different now."

"I need to tell my kids. I plan to marry her."

"And raise...?" Jett nodded his head toward Maisy.

"What choice do we have?"

They fell into an easy conversation about the game. It was August and his team wasn't likely to make the playoffs, but he was having a good year. Successful in the game, failing in life.

"You're not failing."

Jett looked at him. Had he just said that out loud. "I woke up alone."

Coach put his hand up. "I don't want to know."

"There is nothing to know. For six years, my career has come first. I haven't had any relationships."

Betsy arrived and Coach said, "The boy's too smart. He knew."

She smiled. Jett said, "You two are perfect. Friends first, right?"

Neither answered, because Maisy began telling Jett about camp. He had paid for her to go to a drama camp the previous week.

"I loved it!" she said, dramatically.

He teased. "I see we got what we paid for."

Betsy said, "Not we, you. I can never thank you for all you do."

"I loved her the day she was born."

"You and Kenzie both," Betsy said.

There it was her name was out, and he felt like it was floating in the air hovering over the table.

Coach said, "I always wished you two would get along. You have so much in common."

"We're friends, sort of." He wasn't sure now after he upset her.

"I was thinking more than friends."

What the fuck! Jett stammered, "The last I knew my profession disqualified me."

"What? You're not a ballplayer, you're like a son. I would never keep you from her, if you two liked each other."

Jett thought he might puke. Betsy yelled, "Sean! You have no idea what you've done!"

Jett looked at Betsy. She knew. Had she always known?

Coach looked confused. "What's bothering you?"

"You!" Betsy looked at Jett as if she was drowning.

Jett said, "You might want to let Kenzie know I'm not a ballplayer."

"Why? What is nobody telling me?"

Jett ignored him and asked, "Betsy, how long have you two?"

"Before you came back to Boston."

Jett looked at Coach. "So you've been sneaking around for over two years. Do you remember ordering me to tell the BC ballplayer to stop seeing your daughter?"

"Yeah, she knew better. She hardly talked to me all that summer."

Betsy exclaimed, "Sean, it was Jett! The two of them were at my house parenting Maisy every day and well..."

"You and my daughter?"

Jett nodded. "I think I lost my appetite. I'm not sure if she'll ever forgive me for choosing ball over her."

He kissed the top of Maisy's head and drove to the ballpark. There was only one thing to do — workout.