19 - Designated Hitter

Designated Hitter: In the American League, the designated hitter (DH) is a player who permanently hits in the place of a defensive player (usually the pitcher) and whose only role in the game is to hit.

Present day...

Kenzie and Maisie were at Caitlin's door clean, dressed, and on time. Different from Rose and Jett who lived in houses, Caitlin lived in a suite at a hotel. It wasn't unusual, because Ben did the same. He was only there for eight-one games. He spent the fall until the new year with Jett and Coach. Then he and Jett went to Florida to train in the warmer weather.

Caitlin had a smile on her face, but scanned Kenzie in a way that made her feel inadequate. She wore another dress, one she wore to work.

She had packed a bag of things to occupy Maisy including the iPad Jett had bought her and a few books. Kenzie picked the books carefully to use as examples.

As soon as she sat in the large living room, Caitlin said, "So you and Jett?"

"Are friends. I've known him since he transferred to NHA his junior year. He played with my brother until he got drafted his junior year at BC."

"What's your brother doing now?" Her tone was as if she expected he was strung out on drugs like Kim.

"He's starting at first base, although he plays other positions. We'll be playing against him this weekend."

"Oh, so he was drafted?"

"Third round... leaving Jett to finish senior year without him. Unlike Jett, he didn't care if he earned his degree."

"They drafted my husband out of high school."

Kenzie held her tongue, but that explained why she was so young. Instead, she changed the focus. "Maisy and I suggested some revisions."

"I thought it was just fine."

She put on a fake smile, the one she wore for parents who thought their child was a genius. "It is if your goal is for a book parents will read. Maisy couldn't read many of the words."

She whispered, "Maybe she isn't that smart."

Kenzie took a deep breath and released it slowly. A smile crossed her face imagining Jett's reaction if he heard that. Calmly she said, "She reads above grade level. I assessed her to make sure."

"Oh... well... I guess I'll look at your ideas."

It was tedious, and she fought her on most every change. A knock interrupted them before they were through. Kenzie felt uncomfortable as Marissa, the woman who was doing the artwork arrived. She should have been excited to see the illustrations, but this woman reminded her of her mother.

She looked at Kenzie then her eyes moved to Maisy. "Oh! It's Chris' daughter. Are you the nanny?"

Kenzie was speechless, but Maisy wasn't. She looked at Kenzie with wide eyes. "Is my daddy named Chris?"

Shocked Kenzie said, "No honey, Chris is Jett's name that he hates. You know he's your godfather. Your father was a friend of your mother's, but I'm not sure which friend."

"Oh, she has a lot of friends."

"Yes, but I'm her best friend."

The woman said, "Oh sorry." She gave a little smile that told Kenzie she really wasn't.

Kenzie warned, "I wouldn't let Jett hear you say Chris. Even his mother calls him Jett."

Maisy, who was a good listener, said, "Mommy Jetty went home."

Kenzie nodded and smiled at the little girl. The others appeared speechless. "So do you have some illustrations to show us?"

Marissa was hostile toward Kenzie as if she were better than her. Kenzie wanted to yell, I've got your number witch, or she'd prefer a different word, but Maisy had big ears.

By the time they left her patience was thin. She would have preferred a day in her hot, sticky classroom full of children over that ice cold suite with those two. Maisy was shaking from the cold when they left.

"I don't like it there. It smelled funny."

"Me either."  It reeked of sweet flowery perfume.

Thankfully, she had plans to take Maisy to play at her friend, Sandra's house After a quick stop at the McDonald's drive through for the hungry girl, she drove to Sandra's.

It was nice to have a friend who was a social worker and qualified to talk her off the ledge. First, she needed to vent. After seeing Maisy to the door where she had played before Kenzie returned to her car to make a phone call.

"Kenze, what's wrong?" He sounded like he had been asleep, but it was noon.

"You're sleeping?" She huffed.

"We didn't get to the hotel until after three, but I need to be up."

She didn't want to think of him in bed. She was angry, but it was hard to erase the image.  She shook her head hoping to clear her mind.  She needed to focus on her anger.

"I'm done with those bitches."

"Kenze, what did they do?"  His voice was calm. The opposite of how she felt.

"That Marissa called Maisy, Chris' daughter! I had to explain to her that her daddy wasn't named Chris." He winced. "She knows your name. What gives that woman the right to use that name?"

He didn't answer. "What else happened?"

"They don't want my help. They look down on me like I don't belong."

"You do!"

"I don't and never will. I don't mind, except that one is no better than my mother."

She felt the tears and tried to fight them. She would never be good enough for her brother and Jett's world, unless she whored herself out like her mother. She loved baseball, but when all was said and done, she was just a fan.

"Kenze, please."

Please what?  Please keep working with those bitches.  She wished he meant, please don't cry, but he probably couldn't tell she had tears.

"Forget it. I'm not going back there. I have to go. Maisy needs me, but Jett, don't pull my ponytail. We're not in high school and nothing has changed."

"Kenze, please."

Why did he sound upset? She hung up before he could talk her into going back to work with those bitches.