11- Interference

Interference: Interference is an infraction where a person illegally changes the course of play from what is expected. Interference might be committed by players on the offense, players not currently in the game, catchers, umpires, or fans

 Interference might be committed by players on the offense, players not currently in the game, catchers, umpires, or fans

Present day...

Kenzie hugged her last student as they filed out of her room to climb aboard their busses. It was Friday, and they had one more week left before summer vacation. By afternoon, it was stifling in her room leaving her exhausted. The kids were too, because they were whining and tattling. They were all checked out — including their teacher. She had finally given up and taken them to the playground to run it off. She was delusional if she thought she could teach them anything at this point in the school year. She had to get through four and a half days somehow.

Others described Kenzie Lynch in a lot of ways, including a bitch, but delusional was not one of them. She was well aware of reality, because it kept smacking her in the face.

Reality was watching her oldest friend spiral out of control and not able to do a damn thing about it. Reality was agreeing to be friends with the only man she ever loved for the sake of their mutual goddaughter. Reality was that man was dating a model she could never compare to physically — not the hair color, bone structure and not the boobs.

Reality was when Kenzie's brother called to vent the minute she waved her last students off for the day.

"Have you seen the crap that's going around the internet?"

Kenzie sighed. "No, I've been working all day. Shouldn't you be getting ready for a game?"

"Nah, I'm on the west coast, it's still early."

She never kept up with where Ben was. Returning to his initial outburst, she asked, "What'd ya do to make your fans unhappy?"

"What? No, not me! It's Jett and his love child!"

Kenzie sighed. "Maisy was sick, and he took her to the doctors. Betsy had to take the day off to stay with her today." She had thought about it, because trading nineteen first graders for only one sick one seemed like a picnic.

"Pictures of him carrying her into the doctors are all over the internet. The speculation is crazy."

"I hope it doesn't get back to Maisy. She keeps wishing Jett is her father."

"Who the hell is and why isn't he taking her to the doctor?"

"You know the answer to that question. The thing that gives me justice is two of the three never got drafted and Danny was a twelfth round pick who probably never made it past Single A."

"Why doesn't he leave Kim to deal with her own kid?"

Kenzie sighed, she loved her brother, but he had a zero understanding for Kim. She understood because if Maisy hadn't happened, she would have washed her hands of the situation too.

"None of this is Maisy's fault. She never asked for a mother who loves men and drugs more than her. Besides Betsy's in over her head."

"Yeah, well, I literally had an ESPN reporter asking me if I'd met Jett's daughter."

"What did you say?"

"That Christopher Jett doesn't have a daughter."

"He's going to be pissed at you for calling him that." Kenzie warned.

"Tough! He deserves it."

Kenzie was convinced, deep down her brother had guilt over Kimmy. He never did anything wrong but ignored and refused her obvious crush.

Kenzie googled Jett and saw a grainy image of Maisy in his arms. She studied the way the little girl had burrowed into his neck. It made her want to cry, because he was one of Maisy's safe places which that baby shouldn't need. Also, just thinking of Jett's neck, she could smell it and not just the clean, sexy scent of soap and aftershave, but the masculine aroma of sweat just after a game.

Besides the photo from the day before there was a photo of Jett in a park with Kimmy who looked like she was high. She assumed they had asked Jett to go along to keep Maisy safe. They could only trust Kimmy with Maisy when she was not high so someone always went along. Kenzie had done her share of babysitting.

She knew from Betsy Jett had a knack for convincing Kimmy to go to rehab. Too bad he was wasting his money, because she never stayed and when she did, she relapsed quickly.

The picture that upset her most was Jett gazing at Sabrina at some fancy event. They looked perfect together. Yet when she read the article she became confused and angry.

A reporter asked if wedding bells were in their future and she replied, "It's in the works."

The next question, "Will you raise his daughter?"

She responded, "We'll have our own children. That little girl can stay with her mother."

She didn't know what bothered her most, that he chose a woman who won't love his child even though he didn't have one, or that they were practically engaged and she didn't know the truth about Maisy.

Her anger got the best of her. She picked up her phone and called her friend.

He answered. "Kenze, what's wrong?"

She had never called him this late on a game day. "Why are you dating a woman who would reject your daughter?"

Jett laughed. "Kenze, are you listening to yourself?"

"I know, but how can you marry her when she doesn't know anything about you?"

"I have no intention of marrying her. Seriously, stay off the internet."

Feeling irrational accompanied by the need to argue, she said, "You screwed Kimmy! She's yours!"

"Mackenzie!" She had angered him.

"What Christopher?"

"You know very well that I have only looked out for Kimmy. You know the reason too. I did then, because she was your friend and now because she's the mother of my goddaughter and I take my role seriously. We can argue later, but I've got to get ready for the game."

He hung up and the only thing she held onto was he had no intention of marrying the model. She had just put her phone down and it was ringing again.

Brandon said, "I'm going out with my frat brothers tonight." Relief washed over her even though she didn't like any of his friends. "Tomorrow's a day game. You wanna go?"

"Can we bring Maisy?"

"Why would I want to bring Jett's love child to a game?" Brandon asked, angrily.

Kenzie never argued with Brandon. It wasn't fun and didn't turn her on like it had a long time ago. She was hot, tired, pissed at Jett and so she didn't ignore him.

"What the fudge, Brandon!" She was still in her classroom. "You know that's not the truth. If you believe the internet over me!"

"Well, it's everywhere. How do I know you're not lying? You and Jett have this weird rivalry going."

"Come on. Listen to yourself. I promised my goddaughter I'd spend the day with her so no, I won't go to the game."

Their call ended with Brandon unhappy with her. Later that evening she watched Jett swinging his bat. He was angry with her too, because she criticized his model. She successfully pissed off two men — one boyfriend and one friend. Jett had two good hits, and she didn't text him her game notes.