33 - Error

Error: An error is an act, in the judgment of the official scorer, of a fielder misplaying a ball in a manner that allows a batter or baserunner to reach one or more additional bases, when that advance could have been prevented by ordinary effort by the fielder. An error is also charged when a fielder fails to catch a foul fly ball that could have been caught with ordinary effort. The term error can also refer to the play in which an error was committed.

 The term error can also refer to the play in which an error was committed

Six years ago...

Jett had never planned to return to Vermont when the season ended. The truth was, he had graduated and had nothing to do but wait to see if a team would draft him.

He had envisioned spending his days with her. Instead, he moped around his childhood home. His father tried to get him to accompany him on his rounds, but he had moved on from manure and livestock. He actually felt too closely related to the manure after what he did to Kenzie. Just thinking her name hurt.

Avoiding her those last weeks when she was still on campus was a logistical nightmare. He was afraid he would run back to her and beg forgiveness. He spent every waking moment in the weight room. If he had to choose baseball over her, he would do everything he could to succeed.

"Jett come up! You've been down there for hours." His mother called down the basement stairs. There were some old weights and a treadmill. It was better than nothing. He'd also spend hours outside doing ninety foot sprints.

He lowered the weight if he didn't do as she said she may call him Christopher or worse Chris the next time she hollered down. He couldn't bear the name Chris. Without a trainer he had to be careful he didn't strain anything. Still, the basement was as good a place to hide from the world as any. His mother didn't like the locker room smell and so she'd never catch him with tears dripping down his cheeks.

Once he ascended the stairs he had to act like a kid who was on the cusp of achieving his lifelong dream. His mother was bubbling with excitement.

"I'm so glad you came home. I was afraid you'd wait out the draft with Coach."

"You sacrificed so much. I wanted to be here." Lie, lie, lie.

Ben called and asked if he was excited. Jett responded, but it lacked excitement.

"My dad is so excited. He won't talk about anything but you. You sound nervous."

Kenzie must be miserable listening to her father talk about the man she hated.

"Yeah, it's a big deal. You know life changing and all that."

He had already made one life changing decision. He desperately wanted to know about Kenzie, but didn't dare ask.

As if reading his mind, Ben said, "This shit with Kim is so f'ed up. Betsy is paying Kenze to babysit all summer. She's not the kid's mother."

"She's her godmother and um... I'm her godfather. At least one of us will be looking out for her."