Part 16

((Ravens POV))

I opened the door to the kitchen and got the prince's breakfast. I thanked the dwarf who served the foor and hurried back to Thorin's room. When I came in, he was fully dressed and pouring over some maps. I set the tray of food on the edge of his desk. He mumbled a 'Thank you' and I turned to clean up. I quickly made the bed and hung up the clothes that had fallen on the floor. I looked around to see if there was anything else I could do. I spotted some towels on the floor and threw them into a basket.

"I am going to washroom to clean the laundry and I will return as soon as I've finished," I said. Thorin glanced up for a brief moment before looking back at the map in his hand.

"You are dismissed," he said. I curtsied quickly before leaving the room.

((Thorins POV))

When I woke up, something didn't feel right. Dain's surprise visit bothered me. I got out of bed and looked out the window deep in thought. There was a light knock on the door.

"Door's open," I said, not really paying much attention to who it was. I looked up to see Raven step through the door. I surprised myself at how happy I was to see her.

"Good morning, my lor- Thorin. Excuse me," she said and the tips of her ears turned slightly pink. She seemed so relaxed. She blinked a couple times as if coming out of a trance. She was a similar dress as the one she wore the day before. Her hair seemed glowed in the morning light.

"I will bring breakfast to you," she said. I nodded and she turned quickly and stepped out of the room. I turned back to the window and watched the dwarves training on the field. I ran a hand through my hair. I was a prince of a great kingdom. I was a warrior, a fighter. I wasn't supposed to be getting all dopey over a girl like a young dwarfing. I shook my head and decided to get ready for the day.

((Ravens POV))

I set the basket down at the wash station next to Jessica's.

"Good mornin'," she said. We giggled. I began to dump the towels in the tub of water.

"So," she said, "How long have you and the prince been together?" I almost dropped the basket in with the towels.

"Are you crazy?" I asked her, "Me? With the prince? Oh come on, Jessica! That is never going to happen." Oddly enough, as I said that there was a small part of me that wished it was. That part was microscopic and it was going to stay that way. I had no business with the prince other than to serve him. He would never see me as anything more.

"But you so like him, don't ya?" pushed Jessica. I snorted then smirked.

"How do I know you won't tell?" I asked putting my hands on my hips. Jessica gave me an unamused look and raised an eyebrow. Maids were known for gossiping. Very little got passed them. If word got out that I might like the prince- which I certainly will not admit- things would turn into a downward spiral.

"I'll do mah best to keep your secrets, if you promise to keep mine. Do we have a deal?" she said. It took a lot not to giggle at her accent.

"Deal," I said as I began to scrub the towels. Jessica looked at me expectantly.

"So, what do ya really think of him?" she whispered. I looked over at her.

"Think of who?" I asked innocently. She laughed,

"The prince, yah silly thing."

"Oh, him." I said then shrugged.

"Oh, come now," said Jessica, "In Truth, he is very good looking."

"I guess you're right," I said. She was right. The prince was a very handsome dwarf. As were many others. I didn't see why she was so fixed on the prince.

"His eyes are so blue. They look like stones just our of the mines," Jessica fluttered her eyelashes.

"Yes, they are very blue. They remind me more of the sky on a sunny day," I said.

"Anything else?" asked Jessica wiggling her eyebrows.

"His eyes are so captivating. With just one look they tell his whole story," I said softly into the water. Where did that come from? Why did I just say that? I admit his eyes are very captivating, but 'They tell his whole story'? How did I come up with that?

"His story?" asked Jessica. I nodded.

"You just have to know how to listen," I said. Jessica flicked some water in my face. I jumped. She laughed.

"You got to get your head out of those poetry books, missy," said Jessica, "I think it's affectin' you."

"Hey!" I cried and splashed her back.