X-05

Nine Months Ago

"You almost died today."

She was surprised to see him standing outside of her bedroom door, a scowl on his face letting her know that he was still unhappy about the events of the day. Honestly, she wasn't too pleased either. She wasn't really a fan of having this new stab wound just below her ribs from some human with a knife and a quick jab. She tried not to use her powers to shock him, warning him away but he was fast and with her miscalculation that he wasn't going to stab her, she ended up with something that would likely scar. And, it hurt like hell.

She tried putting on a brave face after Harry got her back to HQ. She had lost some blood, but nothing too serious. She was more worried about the family she and Harry had gone after, but all of them seemed to be okay. As soon as she arrived back at HQ, she was given some pain medication and a refugee they had was able to help stich the wound on her stomach up. It was the typical patch-up job offered to them, and she was fine with it. She'd take the medication for a day or two and hopefully start to heal up by the end of the week. She wasn't willing to sit out much longer than that. John hadn't liked any of this though and wanted to see about getting a doctor. She had refused, knowing how tricky it could be to get a doctor to come see them at HQ, and they had to save that for cases of a real emergency. Getting stabbed sure sucked, but it wasn't critical.

"I'm fine." She had already reassured him of that a few times and she mostly meant it. She was sore, of course. She was also tired. Just ready to fall into her bed, letting sleep claim her. She was already wearing sweats and a loose tee, having changed right after she was patched up. She was glad for Harry, knowing what clothes she would like to relax in after being stabbed. Maybe it didn't take a genius though, but she didn't care. She opened the door to her room, and he invited himself in apparently, following her as she walked in.

"You could have died, Taylor." He repeated, and she just reached for his hand, their rules be damned. She had a sinking idea of what he was feeling, having seen him take his fair share of damage in a fight. Even now, with thick walls around them to keep the other out, she still felt that sinking pit in her stomach each punch that was thrown his way. He was strong, built unlike anyone else she had ever met, and could easily handle himself and walk away from anything. She still worried. She knew she was not built like that, electricity pulsed through her and not some crazy strength and resilience. It was no surprise he worried. "Tay—" he started, as she gave his hand a squeeze.

"Please just shut up and let me have this moment." She said, and slowly he just nodded his head. She closed her eyes, taking a deep breath to inhale this moment. She could feel the warmth radiate off him, igniting a new sensation inside of her at her very core. She felt his thumb run across the skin of her hand, heat radiating through each touch. Being this close was beyond dangerous for them, but she didn't care right now. "I know I could have died, but I swear I am fine, John." Come morning, she'd have to wake up alone and start the day off knowing that they had to keep their distance. War claimed them both, not allowing room for anything else.

Tonight though, she wanted this moment. She just wanted the comfort of him for a moment, knowing she had to stop soon before this went too far. She released his hand, opening her eyes to look at him again for a moment.