The One That Got Away

02
The One That Got Away
Warning: Explicit scene

5 Months Later

Wade's phone buzzed against the bar. He looked down at the screen and sucked his teeth. He didn't know why he bothered keeping the service. The 2 people he wanted to talk to were dead.

He watched Abby's 5th call go to voicemail. Hazel was just under her, with 4. Even Rose called. He gulped the rest of his drink.

"Another one," He said without looking up at the barkeep. He flipped his phone onto the screen.

Wade twirled the heavy bracelet on his wrist absently. His fingers grazed over the rough burn marks on it. He winced at the reminder.

"You sure? This is your fourth." Said the burly bartender; uncertainty in his pale blue eyes.

Wade looked up at the barkeep. His gaze boiled the barkeep's blood. If looks could kill, the bartender would've been vaporized.

"Did I stutter?" Wade asked.

The bartender raised his hands like white flags, heart racing. "Sorry, Bro, didn't mean to offend you."

"I didn't ask for a math lesson or an apology, Bro, I asked for another one." Wade hissed.

"Someone once told me that everything I touch turns to rot," He said. He flipped his hand upright. A poppy slithered out of the center of his hand. The plant blossomed into most vibrant pinks and reds the bartender had ever seen.

Wade watched the poppy grow until it began to die. The vibrant petals curled and turned brown. It withered in his hand in a matter of seconds.

Wade dropped the withered plant on the counter. He looked back to the barkeep. The dumbstruck barkeep gawked at him.

"Unless you want to find of if it's true, get me my damned drunk; Now." He threatened. He went as far as to tap his glass impatiently.

The bartender grabbed a drink from under the counter. He hovered the bottle over Wade's cup. Wade blocked the opening before he could pour a drop.

"No more of the watered down shit; go to the back and get me the real stuff." Wade ordered. He shooed the barkeep away like a fly.

The bartender sucked his teeth. He stomped away, vanishing into the backroom.

Wade sighed. He draped his head in his hands. He could feel the Grape Ivy plant behind him judging. Hear it hissing at him.

"Poor guy," He heard from behind.

Wade would recognize that voice anywhere. He sighed but sat up straight. He cocked his head to the side.

Jason Todd stood behind him. A smug grin rode his lips. His chiseled jawline was sharp enough to cut diamond. The leather jacket on his body hugged him nicely. He looked good, but smelled of cigarettes.

"Jason," He said flatly.

"In the flesh," Said Jason. He motioned to the stool beside Wade. "This seat taken?" He asked.

"Looks empty to me."

Jason slid onto the stool. He leaned against the bar elbow first. With his head propped on his hand, Jason fixed his eyes on Wade. He watched him with the same smug grin.