That Boy Is Poison

06
That Boy Is Poison

"Are you sure you're up for this? I mean, given what just happened?" Asked Wade. They stood near a tree outside the building.

"Why wouldn't I be?" Jason retorted. He leaned against the tree and clutched his stomach.

"Because you're walking like an old man without a cane. Look, I don't know what's going on, but I'm assuming those guys aren't our friends. So let me handle it." Said Wade.

His eyes darted between Jason and the tree. While Jason protested, the tree screamed. It was afraid, and it's fear was contagious. Every other plant on the block was infected with that fear.

A fear of Wade. Poison, they called him.

"I'm fine, I'll prove it." Jason said. He pushed himself free of the tree's support. He stood straight for a short moment.

Wade didn't know if it was to make another remark, or catch his balance. Either way, when Jason moved, he moved. He followed Jason to the top floor.

The sounds of men grunting and boots shuffling could be heard from the hall. Jason glanced at Wade over his shoulder.

"Watch this," He said with a smirk. He plucked a smoke bomb from his side and tossed it into the room.

Once the smoke formed a translucent cloud, Jason slipped inside. Wade obliged. He stood in the hall and "watched" even though he couldn't see.

He could, however, hear. Punches, kicks, thuds, grunts and everything in between. In no time, the smoke cleared and Jason stood over fallen bodies.

He extended his hand to someone. Wade couldn't see who, as the island blocked them from view.

"Dick Grayson in the flesh. Nice to meet you, bro. I'm the new Robin," Said Jason.

Wade rushed into the room. "Wait, your charge is Dick?" He asked Jason, mouth gaping.

Dick gawked between the 2 of them. "Wade? What the hell are you doing here?" Dick asked. He rose to his feet without Jason's help.

"Long story, Bro. We should probably get outta here before those guys send backup." Jason said with a shrug over his shoulder.

"I gotta grab something first." Dick said. He motioned to the unconscious older man behind him.

Within a few minutes, Wade and the Robins made plans to get to a safe house. Dick and Jason retrieved the old man from the floor. Wade stood to the side and watched.

They dragged him through the parking garage like a bag of trash.

"Man, Dude looks dead," Said Jason.

"Trust me, there's a difference between dead and knocked out." Dick responded.

"This is awesome!" Jason cheered. He looked over his shoulder to find Wade for a moment. He turned around after Wade forced a smile. "Robin and Robin, in action."

"It's something, alright." Wade said. Awesome wasn't the word. Haunting was. It seemed as if his past, no matter how much he tried to outrun it, was haunting him.

"Who the hell are you?" Dick asked Jason.

"Jason Todd. The new Robin. Robin two-point-o, right?"

Dick gave Wade a look. He got a resigned shrug in response. He shook his head as they stopped in front of an old Volkswagen.

"Hey, seriously, man. It's an honor to meet you." Said Jason.