Chapter 17: Duty Calls

Ella was taking care of her twin sons when the call came.
"Hello? Ella Rogers speaking." She left Steven with the crayons Tony bought him,
"This is Phil Coulson. I need to speak to your partner. It's very urgent."
"Okay. Wait one second." She put down the phone and called out to her boyfriend. "Bucky? Coulson is on the phone!"
"Coming!" He came out wearing nothing but a pair of jeans and an undershirt. Taking the phone, he responded. "Hello? Yes-- Now? How long? 9 months? That's too long." With a sigh, he gave his final answer. "I'll be packed by tomorrow morning. Goodbye, sir." He grimaced.
"What was that, daddy?", James asked. Steven was still intently coloring with a red crayon.
"Daddy needs to go on a mission. A really long one.", Bucky explained to his children.
"How long?", Ella asked quietly, concern in her eyes.
"9 months." Ella's face dropped further, and she embraced her lover in a hug, burrowing her face into his shoulder. "I'm sorry, but it's mandatory."
"9 months is like a bajillion days, you can't go, Daddy! I'm getting my new leg braces Uncle Tony is making me!", Steven pouted, throwing down his crayon.
"Yeah! You can't go! I hafta see you every day!", James indignantly stomped his foot.
Ella spoke. "Is contact allowed?"
"No. I can't tell you about it until I get back." Bucky sounded regretful, and kissed the top of her head as she dug her nails into his shirt. He whispered to Ella, "Tonight I'll make that up to you, don't you worry."
"Hey, that's mean to keep secrets!", Steven said. James nodded along. The couple smiled and shook their heads at their sons. God would he miss them for 9 months.
Once the kids were asleep, Ella and Bucky made sure that they would still feel each other's bodies in Bucky's absence. She fell asleep in his arms, and when he left, he planted a soft kiss on her hairline, and did the same with Steven and James, leaving a note on the counter saying he would miss them all dearly and come home safe, but Ella could only hope.