Chapter 20: What If?

Throughout the mission, Bucky was getting more and more anxious to get back home. He was worried he might have gotten Ella pregnant that night. The scientists had mentioned she was more prone to conception after she got the serum. If that was the case it sucked the mission was 9 months long. He wanted to be there for her no matter what, and especially if she was pregnant. He also wanted to propose to her. After all, it was about time, and they already had 2 kids together. He got the ring and prepared.
Finally, once he finished the mission, he was going home with Steve when his phone rang. It was Ella.
"I'm on my way home now--"
"Come to the hospital."
"Why?"
"Because I'm having a baby."
Steve stomped on the break, backing up and turning around.
"We're on our way, don't worry!"
"I'm not worried, I just don't want you to miss our little girl entering the world." Ella's breathing sounded pained.
"I'll be right there. I love you." He hung up the car phone and got out of the car in front of the hospital. Checking himself in, he saw James and Steven sitting in the waiting room, asleep on each other's shoulders. Steve went to go sit with them and Bucky ran off to Ella's room. She was grimacing, breathing heavily, and groaning. He sat by her side and grabbed her hand, wiping the hair off her sweat matted forehead and kissing it.
"I thought you wouldn't come.", she smiled and turned to look at him.
"Couldn't leave my best girl alone." He smiled back, placing a hand on her stomach. "I'm so sorry I missed your pregnancy."
"Not.. Your.. Fault..", she got out through pained breaths. He squeezed her hand and she fell back on the bed, trying to fight off the pain. Bucky could feel his daughter kicking, and she wasn't being nice at all. The kicks got harder, and Ella squeezed her eyes shut, tears falling down her face. The nurses finally came in and told her it was time to push, and she did as she was told.
After 10 hours of labor, Ella Rogers gave birth to a healthy baby girl.
Sarah Winnifred Barnes was the cutest little girl any parent could ask for.
Bucky fingered the box in his pocket containing the ring and watched as she held her little girl fondly, cradling her to her chest.
"Ella? There's something I want to ask you.", he started, a tad bit nervous.
"Hm?", she turned her attention away from the small child in her arms.
"Well, we've been together for years, have 3 kids, and I still have the hots for you even though it's been over 70 years." He got down on one knee besides her bed. "Ella Jane Rogers, will you marry me?"
She began to cry, shaking her head as a yes. She held out her hand for the ring and admired it, leaning over to kiss him. Sarah's cries interrupted the moment. Bucky smiled down at the little girl, taking her in his arms and rocking her back and forth. She fell back asleep and he kissed her forehead.
"My little angel."