Chapter 1: Awakening

Light streamed from Ella's window. She sat up in the sterile bed and looked very confused. Hadn't Steve crashed the plane? The last thing she remembered was holding his hand for dear life.

"Are you sure there's no other way?", she pleaded. Steve looked forward, upset.

"I'm sorry, Ella. There's no other way.", he responded. As the warm tears flew down her face, he drove the plane forward and let go, grasping herhand. The siblings shut their eyes and accepted their fate as the machine crashed into the icy Arctic land.

That meant they retrieved them from the ice. She could see Steve and Bucky again! Wait.... just Steve. No Bucky. He died months before the arctic crash. A pretty girl came in the room and smiled at her. She stared back. The girl cleared her throat and began to speak. 

"Miss Rogers, thank you for waiting. I'm guessing you would like to be informed of the date today?", she asked.

"Yes ma'am." Bafore the girl could open her mouth, alarms sounded. But... they didn't sound like the alarms she knew. No military alarm was that... futuristic. Advanced. More superior in every way. The lady ran off and Ella ran out of the door to see-- what was this place? Why was everything metal? Nothing was metal in the 1940's! All wood and brick! She peered out a window and oh god! What were those moving pictures? And why were they on buildings?! Then she saw the strangest looking cars surounding Steve and was tempted to run out into the street. No one hurt her brother! Not on her watch! She saw his retreat inside and ran to the door he was going to come in. He entered and ran towards her when he saw her.

"Ella!", he exclaimed, hugging her.

"I thought we were going to die in that ice, Steve!", she said, and pulled away. She glared at the black man in front of her.

"What year are we in?", she demanded.

"2013.", he said, unfased by her rough glare. 

"That's..... like 70 years into the future!", she said.

"Yes ma'am, it is. And we plan to get you back to work right away. You'll join the Avengers with your sibling."

"The Avengers?"

"Yes. The Avengers."

"Can I at least get somewhat comfortable with this time period first?", she requested.

"Nope.", the man said, popping the 'p'.

"Well aren't you just dandy."