11

Drummers Just Go Boom Boom Shakalaka To Make Music

Waking up early by myself I chug down a water go get rid of the sugar hangover I was feeling. Bev knows how to handle way more ice cream than I can handle.

I left a sleeping Cat to have her rest because she just got out of the freakin hospital yesterday, she deserved some rest.

After grabbing a Soy Chai from Starbucks I headed towards Red Records with my badge ready for check in. It was faster getting in because there was no tutorial. I headed for the big practice room and took note of the sae early birds from the other day.

As I entered the practice room I went straight for the piano and brought out my phone and went to the recording app. I had some ideas.

I sang a key to find it on the piano and then tried some stuff out.

"She is strong, powerful

She has brought people to their knees

She can push past the others to see

her dreams" I try out but decide maybe this song is for later.

When writing a song I have a melody and i try to just sing over the melody to find something that really sticks. Sometimes like now, I like one aspect of the song but not the thing as a whole. I keep it saved still,in case it inspires me later.

I play back some of my old unfinished stuff and something stuck out to me.

"There's just something about

the way

he moves

He's smiling at me

no doubt

in my bones." I sing and say a small 'hell yea' to myself.

Where did that come from?

I reach for my guitar and figure out the same chord progression and decide to continue:

"The way looks at me 

with one glance

and I'm gone

There's just something about 

the way

he knows" I stop, smiling I thought about how the chorus should sound before strumming the different chords.

"He's in my mind 

permanently

He's given me something

I need

You see without him

My dreams are out of reach

Maybe he'll see one day

that he belongs to me..." I finish off with the original piece of the song I had saved weeks ago.

"He belongs with me," I sing softly ready to start another verse. 

There was a knock on the door that made me jump and scared. My hands immediately drop my guitar straight to my stomach and I net over slightly because of the small pain. Thank god I was wearing the neck strap because sometimes I forget, and that could've had a completely different outcome.

I look over to the door to find Luke waving apologetically after seeing the whole electric guitar on stomach thing. I head over to the door and open it to a "Sorry about that," from Luke.

"Wasn't there a rule about not disturbing a band practice?" I ask almost pleadingly.

Writing music is my 'me time' and it only needs one person present to make it work smoothly.

"Where's the band?" he replies with a very coy smile.

"Touche." I say while walking back inside door open so he could follow.

He closed the door behind then and picked up Cats guitar, "Whoa there buddy, that's not yours to play."

He put it down softly, "Then which one can I play?"

I hand him my acoustic that was sitting alone in the corner and I walk towards the piano, "Damn guitarists and their need for guitars, so needy." I joke.

After our short chat on the first day, talking to him seemed really easy. Like how it used to be when I talked to Pete when we were best friends. It was nice, natural, and dare I say it... needed.

"What do you know?" he asks.

"Nothing classical, Cats the only one classically trained."

"How do you feel about Billy Joel?"

"Like that's something I would have never expected you to listened to." I said eyeing his Nirvana shirt.

"Vienna?" 

"Sure." I reply still in pure unadulterated shock.

I started playing the piano intro and slowed down before the first verse before making eye contact to cue the guitar.

"Slow down, you crazy child
You're so ambitious for a juvenile
But then if you're so smart, then tell me
Why are you still so afraid?
Where's the fire, what's the hurry about?
You'd better cool it off before you burn it out
You've got so much to do
And only so many hours in a day"
I sinish with light falsettos here and there.

I play the chords while Luke freestyled here and there. 

"But you know that when the truth is told
That you can get what you want or you get old
You're gonna kick off before you even
Get halfway through

When will you realize, Vienna waits for you." He harmonizes with me.

"Whoa dude, did you just pull those harmonies out of your ass or what?" I ask stopping my piano playing and I shift to face slightly towards him.

"As a singing exercise, when I listen to songs I know I try to find harmonies for the vocals. Whether they have it or not. It's really fun with stuff from the Beatles because sometimes they have really unique chords in their works." he pauses after seeing the smirk on my face, "I do realize that very musically nerdy, but it's helped me improve my sound!"

"I don't know, it sounds like a nerd is trying to make musical ear training sound fun but it still sounds like studying with extra steps. Next you're going to tell me drummers just boom boom shakalaka to make music, and then I learn about music theory to prove you wrong."

He smile at my Rick and Morty reference, I knew this guy was cool. 

"Did you finish the new season? That show is so epic. I can't believe someone out there perfected comedy."

"How old are you young sir, those shows are for us mature adults." I say sarcastically judgy with a joking smile.

"Hey I'm nineteen, I am a certified baby adult. Thank you very much."

"Oh no... You're younger than me." I say in mock disbelief, "That means I'm the only adult because I'm the only one in my twenties."

"I bet your only twenty at most." he jokes back but my offended reaction was priceless.

"Don't tell the bartender that actually bought my fake ID that." I say before we let out some light giggles.

This guy gets it, no wonder he friends with Calum. They both have amazing great fun vibes surrounding them. Except there was something I couldn't quite figure out that made him so interesting, while Luke's presence made sense. He could be a great friend- 

My thought process was cut short by Luke leaning over to kiss me?