02

On Magazines

May 2016

It's been a couple of years since we started working here at the House of Brews, and it's everything we wanted and more.

We get to perform almost every weekend now, and we all have started to waitress every now and then. To help whenever our co-workers decide to show up late, like today.

"Mar, someone just ordered a caramel macchiato, minus the whip cream." Jax says from behind the cash register, "And make it quick, he's a hot guy who came to see our band play."

I roll my eyes playfully at her before heading to the back to create the tasty concoction.

"Guys we go on in five." Cat shyly spoke up from the stage.

Cat is the the most introverted one of us all, and when there are too many people around she isn't one for public speaking. 

"Almost done. We just need our co-workers to clock in so that the space isn't empty. It's too packed to leave it empty." I say as I finish the macchiato and hand it to Jax.

"They even got me to help, and you know how much I need my peace before a show." Bev states as she returns from cleaning tables.

"We're now on in one minute." Cat whisper- yells anxiously at our direction as she looked at her wrist watch.

I was about to complain verbally about how late our co-workers were but they all walked in at the same time, and I wasn't one for confrontation

"Thank god! We're going to be late." Jax says as she takes off her apron and throws it to one of our co-workers before running to the stage towards her precious bass guitar.

Bev, Cat, and I look at each other before following suit as we leave our co-workers to deal the insane amount of people we had to deal with before they felt like coming.

"At least we tuned before we started our shift." Bev says while trying to lighten up all of our spoiled moods.

"Whatevers let's just start." Jax stiffly spoke.

Playing music will always improve all of our moods no matter how shitty we feel. I think we all just want to shake off the stress our late co-workers brought by performing.

"Hello ladies and germs!" I say into the mike after testing it out, "I see we have a larger crowd out there tonight! Wouldn't you say so guys?"

"The more the lovelier." Bev spoke up from behind me.

"These are my kind of people." Jax yells from my left me and even if Cat didn't speak, I knew that she nodded in agreement from my right side.

"So I'd like to introduce ourselves, if you don't mind. My horrible name is Anna-Marie, but please don't call me that. You can all call me Mar." I say trying to be funny to no avail.

"Hey I'm the lovely and amazing Jax. That's my real name, so please don't wear it out. Some people, like myself, who are just born amazing all play bass, and all bassists are the best in the band!" Jax spoke with ease into her mike.

"I'm Beverly, but I also go by Bev. I really don't care much about anything except music. All you need to know is that I rock at drums and I'll always look fabulous while doing that." Bev says with confidence.

"and I'm Cat." Cat says simply and to the point.

Her name was Catherine but she has never liked her full name, so we call her Cat and she likes it.

"And we're Broken Like Glass!," I say finishing off our regular introduction before continuing with our song introduction, "So we're going to start off a little slow with our first song of the evening with a ballad titled: Sing Me a Lullaby."