Chapter 6 - Maybe

Keira had barely been able to sleep that night after the concert, her mind too busy running through everything that had happened, analysing every fine detail. She kept having to remind herself that it had been real. That Lewis Capaldi really did just give her his number.

After hours of tossing and turning into the early hours of the morning, Keira couldn't stand it anymore. She knew she had to do something.

So she found herself reaching for the scrap of paper beside her bed and began punching in his number into her phone. She had no idea why. He was probably asleep. In fact, he would definitely be asleep. But she still sent the text anyway.

Keira: Hey.

A few moments passed, leaving Keira staring at her phone screen, waiting. Hoping. She realised she probably should have said who it was in the text, but it was too late now. After waiting another few minutes, Keira let out a sigh. Definitely asleep.

Reluctantly, she put her phone down before rolling onto her side, pulling the covers up high over her shoulders. She was about to close her eyes when suddenly, a loud noise pinged through the room. Keira was back on her phone in an instant, squinting at the bright screen.

Lewis: Keira, is this you?

Her heart was pounding as she quickly typed a reply.

Keira: yeah.

Lewis: Keira, it's 3am, how come you're not asleep?

She hesitated.

Keira: I can't sleep . . . I'm really sorry to wake you, I shouldn't have.

Lewis: No, don't be. I can't sleep either. Too much going on in my head.

Keira: I know the feeling.

There was a beat of silence.

Lewis: Mind if I keep you company for a bit?

She grinned at his message, her stomach already filling with nerves.

Keira: Not at all.

She couldn't help but smile as she nestled down beneath the sheets again, clutching her phone tight.

Lewis: Okay, so Keira-Marie, let's start by you telling me three things about yourself.

Keira: Three things, huh?

Lewis: I want to know more about you. Well, I already know you have a fucking great taste in music, but I want to see what else is great about you.

Keira: Hmm, well, I have a hamster called Hammie. I am studying psychology at uni, and I'm a big lover of ice cream.

Lewis: Hammie, such an original name for a hamster.

Keira: Don't offend Hammie.

Lewis: I blame the owner.

Keira: You're walking on thin ice, Capaldi. I'll also let you know that I'm a green belt in taekwondo, so you'd better watch out.

Lewis: That's sick. It kinda turns me on.

Quiet laughter escaped her lips as she shook her head, already feeling her cheeks heat, her toes begin to curl.

Keira: I find it has that effect on most men.

Lewis: I'm sure it does. Now all I can imagine is you having me in a headlock. Shit, I'll never be able to get to sleep again.

Keira: Headlocks aren't really involved in taekwondo, so you can rest easy. Although, now you've said it, I'm interested in trying.

Lewis: Fuck.

Keira burst into giggles again. She was laughing so much that she barely noticed his second message come through.

Lewis: I want to see you again.

Her laughter stopped. Everything froze. Her mind was fuzzy as she replied.

Keira: I want to see you, too.

Lewis: How do you feel about ice cream tomorrow? I can drive and pick you up.

Keira could barely believe what she was reading, scanning her eyes over his message again and again.

Keira: Sounds good to me, Capaldi.

Lewis: Then it's a plan, text me your address and I'll pick you up at noon. Goodnight, Keira-Marie.

Keira: Goodnight Lewis.

Lewis: I'm really glad you messaged me.

Her stomach fluttered with warmth. She'd never felt that before. Nervousness and excitement all at once, making it hard to think. God what the hell was he doing to her?