Chapter 93

Dinah's Pov:

"Dinner is ready!"

"Yus!" I hop off the couch and nearly trip over Lauren who put her foot out in front of me.

"Whoops... Sorry DJ." The smirk on her face says otherwise. I do all I can do to not punch her is take a breath and push a big smile on my face. The scared expression on her face tells me that I got her nerves. I wink in her direction knowing I have the upper hand and will get her back later.

I rush again to grab a seat like everyone does in musical chairs. Clapping my hands as Ally brings out bowls of soup for everyone.

"Thank you, mama!" I say grabbing my spoon. I get a slap on my arm before I can take my first bite. Ally is glaring at me from her seat. I put my hands up in defense.

"Okay okay... I'll wait."

Lauren shifts in her seat in front of me. Her head turns from behind her to the other side of the room before she releases a breath and tries her best to sink into her chair.

A moment of quiet passes. Some type of stiff energy seems to take over around the table. I can't help but look down and drool at the food I so desperately crave.

"I'm going to go check on Y/n and Normani."

"No need." Normani's voice quietly interrupts Lauren getting up from her seat. The raven-haired girl pauses in a position of half up half sitting as she watches just Normani enter the room. She slowly sits, not looking at all comfortable as Normani sits in her chair.

"Y/n?"

"Tried to wake her up but she is out cold." Lauren bites her lip, looking back to the door conjoining our two hotel rooms.

"She has had a rough day Laur," I say softly, wanting to soothe some of my best friend's anxiety.

"Ya, she'll need her sleep." I nod with Ally. Lauren doesn't look convinced.

"Yes, but won't she need food to be able to be prepared for another long day?" Lauren bites her lip, her acrylic nails tapping on the table.

"We will just make sure she has a big breakfast in the morning," Normani chimes in, her voice sweet as she places her hand on Lauren's tapping hand. A moment passes and Lauren nods looking at the bowl in front of her.

"Okay, shall we say grace?" We all nod our heads, though Lauren seems more absentminded than us all. We each grab each other's hands. Ally, my left. Normani, my right. Our heads bow.

"What a blessing to come together today for this wonderful meal at the end of the week. Our thoughts are with Y/n in hopes that her recovery continues and grows stronger each day. Many thanks for the meal and the company."

"Amen."

I dive into my soup, feeling the warmth flow down my throat and into my stomach.

"So Mani, are you snuggling Y/n tonight or is it someone else's turn." Normani finishes swallowing and clears her throat.

"I think it's my turn." I nod to Normani, not looking up.

"I don't like our new choreo teacher." I look up at Lauren who is looking down at her soup while she slowly brings the spoon to her mouth.

"Why? She seems pretty cool." Lauren shrugs. I narrow my eyes at her.

"Isn't she the same teacher that Y/n has as well?" That's it. That did it. Lauren's hand holding the spoon goes stiff. I can see the muscles tense in her arm.

"Oh ya, she seemed pretty hands-on and patient with Y/n and her clumsiness."

"Ya, but she doesn't have to be so hands-on," Lauren mumbles to her soup. Normani, Ally and I exchange a glance.

"True, maybe one of us could offer to help?"

"But, Y/n didn't seem to mind it."

"That's not the point," Lauren's voice seems distant. She still hasn't looked up at us.

"What is the point Laur?"

"She doesn't know Y/n. She... she could hurt her scars by mistake or overwork her." I lick my lips nervously, putting down my spoon and getting up from my seat. I pull Lauren into my arms and feel her breath come in gasps. Ally and Normani follow.

All hugging Lauren, we move from the table to one of the queen beds in the room.

Put your arms around me, baby

Normani started it as we each pull Lauren into our arms. Doing our best to wrap her in our warmth.

Put your arms around me, baby, and squeeze

We all lightly sing it, each squeezing Lauren at the end of the line.

Only you know how to save me

Lauren leans into Normani's arms, both of them lying down on the bed. I follow along with Ally as we cuddle.

Put your arms around me, baby, and squeeze, squeeze

Lauren softly joins in, her voice more scratchy than usual.

Put your arms around me, baby, and squeeze

We all giggle slightly as we all squeeze one another.

Only you know how to save me

I let my head fall and rest on Lauren's torso, her stomach rising and falling and vibrating as she sings.

Put your arms around me, baby, and squeeze, squeeze

There is a calm moment where everything seems to freeze. I refuse to move my head, letting myself copy Lauren's breathing. 

My eyes get heavy. Only my soup and Lauren's breathing passing through my mind.

"I can see why Y/n likes that song." Lauren's voice, I think. It's calm but far off.

"It's really calming." Lauren's voice again. I think I can hear a smile in her voice.

"It really is Laur."