Prologue

One of the greatest challenges for getting out of bed is the mercilessly cold surrounding.

It makes you want to cuddle longer in the delicious warmth of the blanket. As a 'productive member of the society', Maren was certainly used to being forced out of bed by the alarm . 

Here, there were no alarms that rung with the familiar heavy metal tunes. But woken by the shrill voice of a careless maid was significantly more annoying that the most horrible wake-up alarms.

"Miss, please wash your face."

A pity, Maren was unable to getting used to this.

"Leave it here." With a casual wave, she asked her to get out of the room.

But what she felt instead was the chill of water seeping into the blanket. "What are you doing?"

"Apologies. I just placed the water for freshening up."

The outer layer of the bucket was wet and that made that part of the blanket damp. Maids either held the bucket in their hands or placed it on the floor. Who would be stupid enough to keep wet vessels on the bed?

The maid bent low and apologized but Maren could see that she was not the least apologetic.

The most effectively way to bully someone was not to beat them up or shout at them. These methods were too noisy and expose the bully's true nature. Instead, throw small pebbles every now and then. Too small to be a major inconvenience, but when done over time, can chip away the patience of even the most peaceful souls.

Maren was not an idiot, but even she couldn't control the anger bottled up over an entire week. Especially when she wasn't used to such treatment. 

"You...if that's how you want to play it, reap the returns!"

Directly lifting the bucket, Maren emptied the freezing cold water on the maid's head.

"GAH!"

Not expecting Maren to finally explode in anger, the maid sat on the floor in shock, shivering. The water had completely soaked through her uniform, revealing the outline of her undergarments.

Then recovering her mind, she started crying hysterically.

"M-MISS, HOW COULD YOU HARASS ME LIKE THIS JUST BECAUSE I PRAISED THE FIRST MISS?"

A case of turning black to white.

If it was in the previous world, Maren would have been scared out of her wits. She was used to living peacefully. Average grades, Middle class family and a decent salary working at the government office. Never in trouble. Never worked too hard. Never ambitious.

But that doesn't mean, the current her would be a soft persimmon.

There was a sound of footsteps as a crowd of people burst into the room, alarmed by the maid's screams.

"Second Miss, even servants are humans! How could you vent out your anger on her? " The Chief butler, put his coat on the sobbing maid and looked towards the Master of the manor, asking for justice.

The Wind Daimyo and Maren's father looked at her with a gaze colder than the water could ever be. An outsider would think that they are not related by blood.

"Maren, do you have any defense?"

This was where the fact that she wasn't the real Maren was a huge bonus. She had no affections or expectations from him.

Bowing down respectfully, Maren replied in an equally cold manner, not avoiding the Daimyo's gaze.

"Father must uphold justice for me. As a daughter of this Manor, this water is not the heated water I use for freshening up. This maid suddenly walked into my room and poured water on herself - what face does she have for me to bully her?"

The maid's face visibly blanched in horror.

It was as Maren said - this was her room. It was early in the morning. Why would someone waste time bullying a servant when all it would do is cause a ruckus?  

Maren sneered. "Besides, it's curious how she used sister Karen's name to defend herself. "

Seeing the maid's face turn blue, the butler staring at her agape and the Daimyo nodded in agreement was extremely satisfying.

It really was circumstances that bring out the potential.

An entire week since she died in her old world and ended up possessing the body of the bullied Daimyo's daughter. She had maintained a low profile to avoid trouble...

But if the others have no intentions of letting her live in peace, then she would strike back!

'This is a world of chakra and Ninjas...the world of one of my favorite anime Naruto.

If I can't become stronger even after coming to such a world,

I would be doing a disservice to all those Naruto fans who would kill to be in my place!'

Author Note : This is an 'into the world of Naruto' fanfiction that I was inspired to make in relation to my other fanfiction 'Tales of a Gutsy Ninja'. 

Ryuugamine Aira of 'Tales of a Gutsy Ninja' is a war strategist so while the story is set in Sunagakure, it focused more on the war. Kurosawa Maren, in her position as the Daimyo's daughter is a politician. 

But Narutoverse is impossible to write without its fair share of ninjas...so look forward to this blend of Politics and Jutsus in 'World on a String'!

References:

1. Turning black to white - twisting the truth to turn the victim into the culprit.

2. Persimmon - referred to a person who is weak-willed and doesn't fight back. Easily taken advantage of.

3. Face - importance/relevance. 

4. Kurosawa Maren - Kurosawa means 'Black Swamp' while Maren means 'True lotus'. Thus her name means 'The true lotus of the Black swamp'. Similarly, Karen means 'fragrant lotus'.