Blood 13: THE WALL

"For never was a story of more woe, than this of Juliet and her Romeo."

I stopped reading. I stared at the last line I had read and then shook my head.

Why did Romeo and Juliet choose death over life? Malaking kalokohan. I thought with bitterness.

With a sudden gesture, I lifted my head and threw the book at the big bay window.

I would rather not think about death at all. Except lately, what Doctor Marcus said kept playing on my head.

"He's not safe with us. Sooner or later, they will find him and use him against us. Toffee has to leave."

Pinilit kong burahin ang mga salitang iyon sa isipan ko. I turned my attention back to what I should be doing right now.

Once a year, for Blue Agents' Night, all vampires were asked to honor us and say goodbye for this upcoming life-and-death mission. I didn't usually see the point in it. To be honest, it seemed they were leading us to our own funeral.

Kukunin ko na sana ang damit ko nang biglang bumukas ang pinto ng kwarto ko.

"Toffee, can I talk to you?"

It was Lee Ann. She was wearing a beautiful royal blue dress with small diamonds on its lace.

"Sure," sagot ko sa kanya. "You look beautiful by the way."

"Thank you." She smiled as the blush spread across her face.

"So what do we have now?" I asked.

"Paul has decided to enter the Headmaster's Office tonight," she paused for a while and added, "and he's going with Shienna."

Napakunot-noo ako. "You mean Professor Fina's Office?"

"Yes," she confirmed. "She has all the records of the survivors brought here in Nightshade Academy. It may have some new information that can lead us to the true identity of this Impure Defender we're looking for."

There was silence in the room while we thought about the possibility of being caught. Maaari kaming mapahamak sa gagawin namin ngayong gabi. Or worst, we could all be dead.

I decided to break the silence between us. "Do you think this is a good idea?"

"Nothing here is a good idea, Toffee. But this is our chance to find something about the serum," she replied. Her eyes locked on me. "We have to destroy the serum before it kills us."

"This is a risk-"

"I know, but I'll use my power to detect if they are in danger," she cut me off, pointing out her power as a sensor. "But I need your help."

I raised an eyebrow. "What kind of help?"

"We don't have the keys," she paused and continued, "you have to unlock the door using your power."

I could do it, but I wasn't sure of this plan we're trying to do tonight. "D-Does Doctor Marcus know about this?"

She started with a lot of throat clearing and then said, "No. He left the school for some errands. He'll be back tomorrow morning."