Act 1 Scene 1

Ozians: (Singing) Good news! She's dead! The Witch of the West is dead! The Wickedest witch there ever was. The enemy of all of us here in Oz is dead! Good news! Good news!

Ozian in the crowd: Look! It's Glinda!

(Glinda comes in on her bubble)

Glinda: It's good to see me isn't it? No need to respond, that was rhetorical. Fellow Ozians. (Sings) Let us be glad. Let us be grateful. Let us rejoicify that goodness could subdue. The Wicked workings of "You know who". Isn't it nice to know that good will coquer evil? The truth we believe'll by and by! Outlive a lie. For you and-

Ozian: Glinda! Exactly how dead is she?

Glinda: Well, according to the Time Dragon clock, the melting occured at the thirteenth hour. The direct result of a bucket of water thrown by a female child. Yes, the Wicked Witch of the West is dead.

Ozian Singing: No one mourns the wicked!

No one cries "They won't return"

All Ozians: No one lays a lily on their grave.

Man in the crowd: The good man scorns the Wicked.

Women: Through their lives our children learn.

Men: What they miss when they misbehave.

Glinda: And goodness knows, the Wicked's lives are lonely. Goodness knows, the Wicked die alone. It just shows when you're wicked you're left only. On your own.

All Ozians: Yes goodness knows the Wicked's lives are lonely. Goodness knows the Wicked die alone. Nothing grows for the Wicked, they reap only. What they saw.

Lady in the crowd: Glinda! Why does Wickedness happen?

Glinda: Well, that's a good question. One that many people may find confusifying. Are people born Wicked or do they have Wickedness thrust upon them? After all, she had a childhood, she had a father who just happened to be the governor of Munchkinland.

(Frex comes out)

Frex: I'm off to the assembly dear!

Glinda: And she had a mother. As so many do.

(Melena comes out)

Frex: How I hate to go and leave you lonely.

Melena: That's alright, It's only just one night.

Frex: But know that you're here in my heart while I'm out of your sight.

(Frex leaves the stage)

Glinda: And like every family, they had their secrets.

(A man in a green suit comes on stage)

Lover: Have another drink, my dark-eyed beauty. I've got one more night left here in town. So have another drink of Green Elixir, and we'll have ourselves a little mixer. Have another little swallow little lady and follow me down.

(He leaves and Frex and a doctor and a bed come on stage)

Glinda: And of course, from the moment she was born she was, well, different.

Melena: Ahh!

(Melena lays down on the bed)

Doctor: It's coming!

Frex: Now?!

Doctor: The baby's coming!

Frex: And how?!

Doctor: I see a nose!

Frex: I see a curl!

Both: It's a healthy, perfect, lovely, little-

Frex: Sweet Oz!

Melena: What? What's wrong?!

Doctor: How can it be?

Frex: What does it mean?

Doctor: It's atrocious!

Frex: It's Obscene!

Both: Like a froggy, furry cabbage the baby is unnaturally-

All: Green!

Frex: take it away... Take it away!

Glinda: So you see it couldn't have been easy!

(Frex, Melana, the doctor, and the bed all leave)

Ozians: No one mourns the Wicked! Now at last she's dead and gone! Now at last there's joy throughout the land! And goodness knows-

Glinda: Goodness knows!

Ozians: We know what goodness is. Goodness knows the Wicked die alone.

Glinda: She died alone!

Ozians: Woe to those. Woe to those. Who spurn what goodness is. They are shown No one mourns the Wicked!

Glinda: Good News!

Ozians: No one mourns the

All: Wicked! Wicked! Wicked!!!

Glinda: Well, this has been fun! But as you can imagine, I have much to attend to, what with the Wizards unexpected departure. So if there are no further questions-

Ozian: Glinda! Is it true you were her friend?

Glinda: I... Well I... Um... Yes. Well it depends on what you mean by "Friend".

(She gets off of her bubble)

I did know her. That is, our paths did cross... at school.

(The scene slowly transfers from the Ozians to the students at Shiz)

But you must understand, it was a long time ago. And we were both very young.

(Elphaba runs on stage)