Scene 5

Doctor Dillamond: Settle down class! Settle down! I have read your most recent essays and I am thrilled to report some progress. Although some of us take form over content, Miss Glinda.

Galinda: It's Galinda with a Ga

Doctor Dillamond: Oh, right, sorry, Glinda.

Galinda: I don't see what the problem is, every other professor seems to pronounce my name.

Elphaba: Maybe perfecting the pronunciation of your precious name isn't the soul focus of Doctor Dillamond's life. Maybe he isn't like everyone else. Maybe some of us are different.

Galinda: Well, it seems the artichoke has steamed.

Dillamond: Class! Class! Miss Elphaba has a point. As you know I am the soul animal here at Shiz. The token goat as it will. But It wasn't always like this. Oh dear students, how I wish you were here when one would walk these halls and hear an antelope explicating a sonnet. A snow leopard solving an equation. A wildebeest waxing filosofic. Can't you see, what's being lost. How our dear Oz is becoming less and less... colorful. Now, who can tell me what sent this into motion.

Elphaba: From what I read it began with the great drought.

Dillamond: Precisely. Food grew scarce and people became hungrier and angrier. Can anyone tell me of the term Scapegoat?

Dillamond: Someone besides Miss Elphaba. Ah yes, Miss Glinda.

Galinda: It's Galinda with a Ga. And I don't see why you can't just teach us history instead of always harping on the past.

Dillamond: Yes, well maybe some of these questions I have prepared-

(Everyone gasps when he flips over the chalkboard it says "ANIMALS SHOULD BE SEEN AND NOT HEARD")

Dillamond: Who is responsible for this? I'm waiting for an answer. Very well, that will be all. I said class dismissed!

(everyone leaves but Elphaba)

Elphaba: You go ahead, Nessa. Animals should be seen and not heard?

Dillamond: Oh, Miss Elphaba, don't worry about me. Go and join your friends.

Elphaba: That's alright I have no friends. Would you like to share my lunch?
Dillamond: I... Well, thank you, how kind.

(Elphaba opens a candy bar and starts eating it and gives Doctor Dillamond the rapper and he eats it)

Dillamond: Well, it seems I have lost my appetite.

Elphaba: You shouldn't let ignorant statements like that bother you. I mean, I always do but you shouldn't.

Dillamond: Oh Miss Elphaba, If it were only a few words on a chalkboard. But the things one hears these days. Dreadful things... [Sings] I've heard of an Oz, a professor from Quox no longer permitted to teach, who has lost all powers of speech.

Elphaba: What?

Dillamond: And an owl from Munchkin Rock. A vicar with a thriving flock forbidden to preach. Now he only can screech! Only roomers but still enough to give pause to anyone with paws. Something bad is happening in Oz.

Elphaba: Something bad? Happening in Oz?

Dillamond: Under the surface. Behind the scenes something BAAAD!

(A Noise of a goat comes out of his mouth and they are both terrified)

Dillamond: Sorry, Bad.

Elphaba: Doctor Dillamond are you alright? Shall I fetch you a glass of water?

Dillamond: No, I don't know what came over me.

Elphaba: So you're saying there are animals that have somehow forgotten how to speak? But how is that possible?

Dillamond: Well, with anything discouraging enough you can keep anyone silent. But I for one will not- Oh Madame Morrible.

(Morrible Enters)

Morrible: I hear there was some sort of disturbance in class today. Are you alright Doctor? Miss Elphaba, you're still here. Why, I thought you would be off to my seminar by now.

Elphaba: Yes, Madame I would but-

(Dillamond Flips over the Board so you can't see the Message)

Morrible: But? I do hope I have not misplaced my trust in you. Magic is a dimadorating mistress. And If one's ambition is to meet... the Wizard! I'm sure Doctor Dillamond sees my point.

(She Leaves)

Elphaba: I better go. Doctor Dillamond, if something bad is happening to the animals, someone has to tell the Wizard. He'll make it right! That's why we have a Wizard. So nothing bad.

Dillamond: I hope you are right.

Both: Nothing all that bad.

Dillamond: Nothing truly BAAAAD!... Sorry bad.

(He leaves)

Elphaba: It couldn't happen here... In Oz.