Scene 2

Students: O-oh hallowed halls and vine draped walls, the proudliest sight there is(sight there is). When grey and seer our hair hath turned, we shall still revere the lessons learned in our days at dear old Shiz(Dear old Shiz) Our days at dear old.

(Glinda comes in on a cart of luggage)

Glinda: Oh-Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-old

Students: Shizzzzzzz.

(All the students and Glinda are on one side and Elphaba is on the other)

Elphaba: What? What are you looking at? Oh, do I have something in my teeth? Alright fine, let's get this over with. No, I'm not seasick, Yes, I've always been green, and No, I didn't eat grass as a child!

(Frex comes on stage wheeling Nessarose on as well)

Frex: Elphaba!

Elphaba: Oh! And this is my sister Nessarose. As you can see, she is a perfectly normal color!

Frex: Elphaba! Stop making a spectacle of yourself! Remember, I am only sending you here for one reason!

Elphaba: I know, to look after Nessa.

Frex: (To Nessa) My precious little girl, a parting gift.

Nessa: Oh father. Jeweled shoes!

Frex: As befits the future governor of Munchkinland. Elphaba, take care of your sister. And try not to talk too much.

(He leaves)

Nessa: Elphaba...

Elphaba: Well, what could he have gotten me, I clash with everything!

(A teacher comes in)

Madame Morrible: Welcome new students! I am Madame Morrible, head Shiztress here at Shizzzz University. And whether you are here to study law, logic, or linguification, I know I speak for my fellow faculty members when I say we have nothing but the highest hopes...

(She looks at Glinda)

For some of you.

Elphaba: Excuse Me, Pardon me.

(She wheels Nessa next to Morrible)

Morrible: Oh, you must be the governor's daughter. Miss Nessarose, isn't it? What a tragically beautiful face you have.

(Elphaba tapps on Morrible's shoulder and Morrible turns around to look at her)

And who is- Ahh!

Elphaba: I'm the other daughter, Elphaba. I'm beautifully tragic.

Morrible: Yes, well, I see. Well, I'm sure you're very bright.

Glinda: Bright? She's phosphorescent!

Morrible: Now! Room assignments!

(Elphaba and Galinda raise their hands)

Is this regarding room assignments?

Galinda: Thanks for asking Madame Morrible, but I've already been assigned a private suite. But can all come and visit whenever you would like!

Sheshen: How good of you!

Pfannee: You are so good!

Galinda: No I'm not!

Both: Yes you are!

Galinda: Now stop!

Morrible: Did you have a question?

Galinda: Yes, you see, I am Galinda Uplands Of the Upper Uplands. I've applied to your sorcery seminar. Perhaps you recall my entrance essay "Magic wands, need they have a point"

Morrible: Ah yes, but I do not teach my seminar every semester. Unless someone special were to apply.

Galinda: Well, exactly!

Elphaba: Madame Morrible, we haven't received our room assignment yet.

Morrible: Ah yes, The governor made his concern for your sister's well being quite apparent. She will share my compartment, where I can assist her as needed.

Elphaba: But I've always looked after my sister.

Morrible: He never mentioned it. Oh, just a slight gluch! Not to fret! We'll put someplace safe to put you.

Elphaba: But Madame!

Galinda: I don't even think she read my essay.

Boq: That is so unfair. You should say something

Galinda: Should I?

Morrible: Now, which of you young ladies will share a compartment with Miss Elphaba?

Galinda: Madame Morrible?

Morrible: Oh thank you dierie! You see Miss Elphaba you will share a compartment with Miss Galinda.

Elphaba: What? No Madame you don't understand!

(Morrible starts to wheel Nessa away)

Nessa: Elphaba, I'll be alright!

Elphaba: But I promised father!

Morrible: Young gentleman to your dormitories!

Elphaba: Let her go!!!

(Elphaba's magic gets out of control and sends Nessa wheeling back to Elphaba)

Galinda: How did she do that?

Morrible: How did you do that?

Nessa: Elphaba, you promised things would be different here!

Morrible: You mean, this has happened before?

Elphaba: Well, something just comes over me. Something that I can't describe. I'll try to control myself. I'm sorry Nessa.

Morrible: What? Never apologize for talent! Talent is a gift! And that is my special talent, encouraging talent! Have you ever considered a career in sorcery?

Elphaba: Not really.

Morrible: I shall tutor you privately and take no other students!

(Sings)

Many years I have waited for a gift like yours to appear. Why I predict the Wizard could make you his Magic grand Vizier!

Elphaba: The Wizard?

Morrible: My dear, My dear. I'll write at once to the Wizard. Tell him of you in advance. With a talent like yours, dear there is a defisish chance if you work as you should. You'll be making good

Galinda: Madame Morrible?

Morrible: Not now dearie shoo! Shoo!

Galinda: Something is wrong... I didn't get my way. I think I need to lie down.