Scene 3

Wizard:(The scene opens with a ball with Glinda and Fiyero dancing then changes to Elphaba in the room with the Wizards mask alone and she sets her broom down) (Behind the mask) I knew you'd be back (He steps out and grabs Elphaba's broom) I never meant to harm you. 

Elphaba:Well you have. You have harmed me. 

Wizard:I know and I regret it. Elphaba... 

Elphaba:There you are! I'm setting those monkeys free. And if you interfire or try to call your guards-

Wizard: I'm not calling anyone! The truth is i'm glad you're here. It gets pretty lonely around here. And I know you must get lonely too. 

Elphaba:Oh you don't know the first thing about me! 

Wizard:Oh, but I do. I know you do. I can't explain it exactly, you know what I mean? Elphaba, you have been so strong throughout all of this, aren't you tired of being the strong one? Wouldn't you like someone to take care of you? (He holds out the broom for her to take) Please, Let's start again. (She grabs it out of his hand) 

Elphaba:Don't you think I wish I could? That I could go back to that time when I thought you were wonderful? The Wonderful Wizard of Oz? Nobody believed in you more than I did. 

Wizard:Oh my dear child. (Sings) I never asked for this or planned it in advance. I was mearley blown here by the winds of chance. I never saw myself as a Solomon or Socrates. I knew who I was, one of your dime-a-dozen Mediocrities. Then suddenly I'm here Respected, worshipped, even. Just because the folks in Oz Needed someone to believe in. Does it surprise you I got hooked, and all too soon. What can I say?I got carried away And not just by balloon. "Wonderful" They called me "Wonderful" So I said "Wonderful If you insist". I will be Wonderful And they said "Wonderful!". Believe me, it's hard to resist 'Cause it feels wonderful. They think I'm wonderful Hey, look who's wonderful This corn-fed hick. Who said: "It might be keen To build a town of green And a wonderful road of yellow brick! See, I never had a family of my own. So, Guess I just - wanted to give the citizens of Oz everything. 

Elphaba:So you lied to them. 

Wizard:Only verbally! And besides, it was the lies they wanted to hear. Elphaba, where I'm from, we believe all sorts of Things that aren't true. We call it History. A man's called a traitor or liberator A rich man's a thief or philanthropist. Is one a crusader or ruthless invader? It's all in which label Is able to persist. There are precious few at ease With moral ambiguities So we act as though they don't exist. They call me Wonderful. So I am wonderful! In fact it's so much who I am It's part of my name And with my help, you can be the same. At long, long last receive your due, Long overdue, Elphaba. The most celebrated Are the rehabilitated. There'll be such a whoop-de-doo A celebration throughout Oz. That's all to do with you! Wonderful They'll call you wonderful!

Elphaba: It does sound wonderful

Wizard: Trust me, it's fun When you are wonderful It would be wonderful

 Both:Wonderful, wonderful One! Two! 

Elphaba:Wait- (Sings) I'll accept your proposition. 

Wizard:Wonderful!

Elphaba: One one condition... You set those monkeys free. 

Wizard:Done! (He pulls a lever and flying monkeys come out. When they are all gone a animal comes onto the stage under a blanket)

Elphaba: Fly! Fly! You're free fly! Chistery! Chistery you're free! Fly! (When they all leave a thing comes onto the stage under the blanket) You under the blanket-(She lifts it off of the "Monkey" revealing her old goat teacher Doctor Dillamond) Oh no... It can't be... Doctor Dillamond? 

Wizard:Elphaba, we couldn't let him continue speaking out.

Elphaba: Doctor Dillamond are you alright? Don't be afraid it's me, Elphaba. Don't you remember me? 

Dillamond:Bahhhh... 

Elphaba:Can't you speak? 

Dillamond:Bahhhh.... 

Elphaba:Do you want to know my heart's desire? Is to fight you 'till the day I die!!! (The Wizard goes behind the mask and Dillamond walks off stage)

Wizard: Guards! Guards! Guard: Hault! (Fiyero runs onstage with guards) 

Fiyero:Are you alright your Ozness? 

Elphaba:Fiyero? I don't believe it. Oh Fiyero. Thank God! I thought you- 

Fiyero:Silence witch! 

Guard:There's a goat on the lamb sir. 

Fiyero:Nevermind that. Go fetch me some water. 

Guard:Water sir? 

Fiyero:Yes, as much as you can carry. 

All guards: Yes sir (They go offstage) 

Elphaba:Fiyero-

Fiyero: I said silence. (He pulls the Wizard out of the head) 

Wizard:No. No! 

Fiyero: Don't make a sound, your Ozness, unless you want all your guests to know the truth about the Wonderful Wizard of Oz... Elphaba, I'll find Doctor Dillamond later, no get out of here. 

Elphaba:Fiyero you frightened me. I thought you might have changed.

Fiyero: I have changed. (Glinda walks in with her ball dress on) 

Glinda:What's going on? Oh Elphie!(She hugs Elphaba) Oh thank Oz you're alive. Only you shouldn't have come if anyone discovers you.
Fiyero:Glinda you better go... 

Glinda:Fiyero what are you- 

Fiyero:Please just go back to the ball. 

Glinda:Your Ozness he means no disrespectation. You see we all went to school together and- 

Fiyero:Elphaba! (He walks over to her)

Glinda: Fiyero have you lost your mind? What are you doing?

Fiyero: I'm going with her! 

Elphaba:What? 

Glinda: What? What are you saying? You mean this whole time... the two of you... behind by back.

Elphaba: No Glinda it wasn't like that! 

Fiyero: Well, it was.... But it wasn't. Elphaba...Come on let's go... let's go.(they both leave) 

Glinda:Fine Go! You deserve each other! 

WizardLHere have a swig of this(He holds up a little green bottle) 

Glinda:No thank you. (Morrible Enters) 

Morrible:Oh, is it true? Your betrothed has taken her into custody?

Wizard: I'm afraid our new captain of the guard had other plans. 

Morrible:You mean she hasn't been captured? 

Wizard:Quite the opposite! And considering how well she eluded us last time... 

Morrible: Well, we'll just flush her out and force her to show herself.

Wizard: But how?

Glinda: (Quietly) Her sister... 

Wizard:What? 

Morrible:What did she say? (A little louder) 

GlindaLUse her sister. Spread a rumor. Make her think her sister is in danger and she will fly to her side... and you'll have her.  If you'll excuse me your Ozness I have a slight headache. I think I need to lie down. (She leaves the stage)

Morrible: A rumor won't do it. Elphaba's too smart. 

Wizard:Far too smart. 

Morrible:Perhaps a change in the weather. (A sound of lightning comes from the stage and Morrible and The Wizard are laughing then they leave)