Chapter 35

Author's Note: If you have any writing tips, please feel free to comment.

Again, I gratefully accept constructive criticism as a means to help me develop my skills as a writer.

--- --- --- --- ---

Chapter 35

Lisa could not believe she was sitting on an airplane on the way to Hereford. She glanced at her husband who was reading the in-flight magazine and sighed. She felt slightly furious on how he had managed to manipulate her. She still was not sure why he has been pushing her so much to accept Turner's offer. Her blood still boiled when she thought how her husband had ambushed her a day earlier...

--- --- --- --- ---

The day before

Lisa was juggling her briefcase and a stack of manila folders while trying to identifying her home key from a stack of keys and keychains.

"John, I'm home!" she shouted as she closed the door with her elbow.

"I'm in here!" she heard him yell back from the living room.

She huffed as she placed everything in the hallway, not bothering about the clutter. She removed her blazer and stopped abruptly. Colonel Turner was seated opposite her husband and had the usual fixed, stern expression.

"I'm calling the police," she hissed.

"Lisa, wait," he called after her. "I told him to come."

She stood there, baffled.

"How did you-?"

"I'm a Major in the SAS. I have plenty of resources."

She scoffed. Of course.

"Colonel Turner told me everything," he continued. "I think you should give him another chance."

"I may have come on a bit strong last time," said Turner. "I am going to suggest the same proposition only I am going to give you some leeway. Consider it as a probation period. If you see that you have adjusted, then accept and you will be fully employed with the Armed Forces of the United States."

She thought about Turner's idea. Secretly, she liked it and could work with what he had just offered. But she did not want to make it too easy. She did not want to give the satisfaction to John that he managed to be right even if she hid it from him.

"If you still find that you have not settled, you can leave, no strings attached," he continued.

She groaned and threw the blazer on the sofa.

"Fine," she said curtly. "I'll do it."

And there she was on an airplane; nibbling on some nuts. From the corner of her eye, she noticed that John was staring at her.

"Have you forgiven me yet?" he asked.

"Nope, not yet."

He chuckled and grabbed her hand and kissed it.

"I love you," he mumbled.

"Mhmm."

He continued grinning and continued reading the magazine. In a few hours' time, she will be at the entrance at Hereford for her first training in seven years.

--- --- --- --- ---

The car came to a halt and a soldier holding an assault rifle tightly in his hands approached the vehicle. John handed him his card with all his particulars. After the soldier was satisfied he handed it back.