EMERALD

THE REPUBLIC

It's well after midnight when I finally got home. My mind is still reeling after what I heard. This all of this can't be true. We are not ready for war, our people are not ready nor will they be willing to go to war with the Capital federation.

My parents and brothers are home I need to hide the video before they start asking questions. I run up to my room and hide the video in my closet. 

"Emerald! Is that you?"

"Yes mother it's me."

"What are you doing?"

"I was studying. I lost track of time."

"Are you hungry?"

"No."

"Go to bed then."

"Okay mother. Goodnight."

"Goodnight dear."

My parents don't suspect anything. I peek out of my bedroom. My parents and brothers are still talking, but I can't make out what they are saying, maybe they are still talking about what happened earlier. Damn it! what are they saying? I open my door wider. "Goodnight Emerald" I got caught by my father. "Goodnight father." I guess I better get to bed.

I couldn't sleep last night. I kept thinking about what I saw and what I heard, and that my own family is covering all this up. The Republic has a right to knowing so do I. I have the drone footage, and I'm wondering if I should show it to my friends or confront my family. If I show my friends they will tell everyone, there will be scared and frighten people through out the Republic, and I will get into trouble.

"Emerald breakfast." I better get downstairs and see how everyone is doing. 

"Good morning mother, father, Grey, Landon, and Jesse.

"Morning Emerald". My father looks at me and smile, something he hasn't down in a while. We ate in silence. My parents and brothers are busy reading a bunch of papers.

"What are you guys reading?" I ask. "Work stuff." my father says. "All of you are reading work stuff." I ask. They all nodded.

"We are going to be late." My father tells me. I ask why. "We are going to be in meetings all day." My father tells me. I ask Grey the same question. Grey tells me he's going to be late as well as Landon and Jesse. "Okay." I guess I'm going to be home alone again maybe I will follow my family again.