Chapter 6: Free

I awake to the sound of a car zooming by. I moan and rub my eyes open. I look around. I feel a sudden warmth surge through my body. I look down. 

A bright red, fuzzy blanket was tucked around my body. I smile and untangle the blanket. Holding it to my chest, I look around for Amber. She was in a bed of blankets and still sleeping. A piece of raw fish sat in a bowl on the side of her bed. There was a plate of bright red apples by my bag. 

Thank you... whoever you are. 

I toss the apples in my bag. 

I look up at the sky. The sky was blue. I could estimate the time being three or four-thirty. I quietly get up and tuck the blanket in my bag. I grab the bandana from my bag and sling it around my mouth. I lift my hood over my head. 

I kiss Amber's head. "I'll be back soon. Stay here."

I fling webs to the top of the garage roof and swing up to it. Fresh morning wind trails down my shoulders. I slightly shudder. I take a deep breath and smile.

I run across the roof and fling a few webs to the tops of various houses. 

So. This is what it means to feel free. To be free. To feel like a baby bird has bravely spread its wings. Jumping off of its nest and taking flight. A little shaky at first, but gets the hang of it. It flys up and up. Feeling the wind through its feathers. This is what it means...

To flying high. 

I smile and laugh. 

"Woohoo!" I continue to swing around. I land on a few driving cars. Tired businessmen cuss at me and threaten to call the Pro Heroes or the Police. But I don't care. 

They don't understand what this feels like to me. Feeling like there is no one controlling your life. That you are finally set off on your own, ready to start your own new life. The feeling to be set free. 

This is my life. This is the moment that I turn my life around and hope for the best. This is the start of a new chapter. Many new memories waiting to show themselves. 

What is my quest? What is it that I search for? 

I am going to figure out what it means to be a hero. A true hero. I will forget my past. And move on. I will meet new people in life and, maybe, I might find someone who I can love. Someone who can help me with this rough life that I've had. 

This is my step. My step to leave the dark tunnel and lean into the light. A wonderful world just waiting for me on the other side. I run. I reach my hand to the light. A mysterious figure waiting for me on the other side, holding their hand out and yelling Come on. This is your chance. Take it. I can sense the figure smiling. Not an evil smirk that I've always seen my father wear, just a soft, warm smile. A genuine smile. I smile of a person who is the sun for the earth. The stars for the people. The warmth of a fire on a cold winter night. The light in the dark.  

This is it. This is my chance to restart. This is my choice, and I can't go back. 

I slowly come to a stop to catch my breath. I look up and gasp. 

The sun was rising just above the shimmering blue sea. Multiple colors paint the sky. I single star shone in the sky. Pelicans and other birds flapped in the sky or landed on the beach.

I took out one of the apples and the red blanket from my bag. I sling the blanket over my shoulders and take my bandana off of my mouth. Apples for breakfast. 

I'm going to have to find a part-time job if I'm going to survive and for my future. But I can't at my current age, fifteen. 

I can't be thinking about this right now. I sigh and continue watching the sunrise.