Chapter 14~ All alone

"Phillis! Cora!" Someone said. It was daddy. Cora sat up in her bed. Cora heard splashing waves as daddy appeared in the doorway.
"Goodness gracious! What has happened?" Mama called.
"They opened the main stairway gates. Everyone has gone. I was looking for another way out while they were letting everyone through. The gates are closed again. We need to get out right now. The water is rising quicker and quicker. The ship is fully sinking." Daddy said, in a panic, throwing the life vests at Mama and Cora that floated in the water.
Water was covering Mama on the low bunk. Daddy tossed Cora off the bed into the freezing water. Cora was too scared to scream. She put on her soaking wet, water filled shoes, and Mama tied on her life vest.

The water was up to Cora's chest, even while Cora stood on her tippy toes. She gripped her Dolly close, and cried inside.

Daddy pulled her and Mama along.
"Go left!" He cried.
Cora tripped and swallowed a mouth full of the salty water. She coughed and kept running as much as she could.
When they had reached the gate, it was locked.
"Go the other way!" Daddy cried.
As they were running, Daddy Halted them both. The water was too deep and was rushing in quicker.
"This way!" Daddy cried, pointing to the main stairway.
Cora and Mama followed, screaming. They frantically ran up the slippery stairs, as water shot through the hallway and knocked doors off the wall.
They stopped at the top of the gate. Mama and daddy pulled on it. It was locked! Cora screamed.
"Open the gate!" Daddy cried.
"Daddy!" Cora said. She reached up and grabbed a hold of the top of the gate.
Cora noticed there was a small opening on the bottom of the gate. She held her breath and slipped under. She was on the other side! Cora ran to the stairs on the top, and held on to the banister.
Cora looked behind her and in horror, watched her daddy get swept under the rushing waves. Cora screamed;
"Daddy!" She called.
"Go, Cora!" Mama called to her, still trapped behind the gate.
"Get into a lifeboat! I love you!" She called getting trapped under the rushing waves.
Cora began to cry, as she watched her Mama get swept under the waves.
Her parents weren't there anymore. Cora was all alone.