CHAPTER EIGHTEEN: Lie Together, Die Together

CLAIRE'S HOUSE

CLAIRE'S STUDY

Claire and Mason were talking about Nolan.

"People express their grief in so many different ways. Thank you for being there for me," Claire said.

"And thank you for being so understanding, Claire," Mason replied.

"Of course. Let me know if you need anything."

"Bye."

"Take care."

When Mason was out of earshot, Claire pulled out her phone and dialed her security department.

"I want active surveillance on Mason Gregory. Start it now."

STUDENT UNION

Ava had seen Zach sitting down, who was working on a portfolio for something.

"Hi," she said as she sat down next to him.

"Hey," he replied.

Ava caught a glimpse of his screen.

"Oh, wow, that's beautiful."

"You mean it?"

"Yeah."

"Thanks."

"You know who Lee Redmond is, right?"

"The Manhattan gallery owner?"

"Yeah."

"Of course. Her taste is legendary. If she gives you a show your work is immediately taken seriously."

"Well, I just found out from a friend of mine, Zoe, who's mom is an artist, that Lee Redmond is going to be at the gala tonight."

"Okay."

"Fortson, what are you not getting? You are going to show Lee your work. This is you shot."

"You're cute when you're flustered. I've gotta get going."

"I am not letting either of us pass up on this chance. I am talking up the Vogue editor today, and you, Zach Fortson, are talking up Lee Redmond."

"I'm working the event, Ava. I'm gonna be passing out champagne. But I'll see you later."

ALISON'S HOUSE

Taylor paced as Alison brought in two cups of coffee.

"Every minute we don't hear from Jeremy feels like a lifetime. I need this to be over. For Nolan, not for me," Taylor said.

"Well, you need to figure out a way to put this on the back-burner until Caitlin gets the text," Alison replied.

"I don't know if I can do that."

"You can, because we don't have a choice."

The doorbell rang.