Love In The Air (11)

I get home to the smell of burning. "I'm home!" I walk towards the kitchen only to hear a stream of curse words coming from both my dad and Sophie.

I round the corner to see smoke coming from the oven and an extremely burnt chicken on the counter. They haven't seen me yet but they turn to me when I burst out laughing.

"Mae! This isn't funny! I just wanted to try and cook you a nice meal but this fool." She points at my dad. "Can't keep track of the time. Take it out in 10 minutes I said. 20 minutes later, I hear his dumb ass cursing up a storm."

"I thought she said 20!" I can't breathe I'm laughing so hard.

Eventually, we decide to just order some Chinese and eat in. Afterwards I go up to my room and read. A few hours later I hear a knock on my door. "Come in." Sophie walks in and sits on my bed, I shuffle over to give her more room and place my book on the bedside table.

"How you doing sweetie?"

"Great, I love being here, you and dad are the best."

"I'm very happy to hear that but there's something else going on here." She sees my confusion and continues. "Honey, your dad might not see it, but I do. I see you zoning out at the dinner table, something's bothering you and I want to know what it is."

I sigh, not quite believing she'd noticed. "I...there's a boy." Sophie squeals like a teenage girl and claps her hands. I roll my eyes.

"Tell me everything." So I do, I tell her all about Cameron and me on the plane. She laughs and smiles and when I get to the end we both have tears in our eyes. "Mae you have to see him again."

"How? I don't know where he is or if he'd even want to see me again."

"If everything you told me is true, he wants to see you again. What's his full name?"

"Cameron Gledhill." A look crosses Sophie's face, but it's gone almost as soon as it appeared. A quick smile comes to her lips. "What?"

"Nothing, just happy you're in love." If I had a drink, this is the point I would've spat it out.

"Love?!" She pats my hand and stands, walking to the door. As she opens it she turns back to me.

"Mae."

"Yeah?"

"I'm rooting for you." I smile at her.

"Thank you." The door closes softlybehind her and I turn my light out, deciding to call it a night.