Love In The Air (15)

One Year Later

I leave the lecture hall with a sigh, hugging my notebook to my chest and pulling my laptop bag up my shoulder. I walk outside to be met with the rare feeling of sun on my skin; I squint and start making my way back to my dorm. The sun reminds me of Texas, and Texas reminds me of Cameron. Not that I don't think about him when I look at pretty much everything.

Our Universities are only an hour away from each other but with busy schedules we usually only get to see each other once a month, I haven't seen him in two months because we've been so busy with Uni recently. We Skype or call each other almost everyday without fail, and together we make it work, but I can't help but miss him.

Today is our One Year anniversary.

Cameron's really busy all weekend so we'll have to celebrate maybe next week, my heart sinks a little but I can't complain. After the wedding in Texas just over a year ago we spent everyday left of our trip together and on the last day he asked me to be his girlfriend. We were at the park laughing and I just looked over to see him staring at me, a small smile on his face.

"What are you smiling at?" I said, smiling back.

"You." I blushed and ducked my head.

"Why?"

"Because you're beautiful."

"Stop it." I said laughing, going to smack his arm playfully, but he grabbed my hand mid air, threading his fingers through mine. "Seriously, you know I hate it when I blush and-"

"Will you be my girlfriend?" He interrupted.

I stopped and looked at him. He looked so nervous and vulnerable, but sincere all the same.

"I...yes." His whole face lit up, and I knew I was a goner. This boy drove me crazy and I loved it. I was pretty sure I was starting to love him. We both leaned towards each other and met in the middle.

So...yeah. That happened. And a year later I'm walking to my dorm to enjoy my weekend off. Alone. Probably to write an essay or something. Alone. Maybe go shopping. Alone. And watch Netflix with a huge tub of Ben & Jerry's. Alone. I decide to take the stairs so I can afford to eat as much ice cream as possible later, fumbling for my keys.

I round the corner to my dorm and finally free my key from my bag. "Gotcha." I look up at my door and drop my notebooks on the floor. My mouth is hung open and I probably look like a goldfish.