Run

Carla jumped at the sound of him mentioning Roxie. Knowing very well that it was a trap, she remained quiet and covered her mouth to stifle her breathing. Daniel glanced around a few more moments before stomping his foot to the ground and throwing the weapon down.

"Get out here you little bitch! I will kill her if you don't get your ass over to me!" He screamed. Carla flinched, not answering his psychotic yelling. Just then, the phone she had taken began to ring with a woman's name popping up on the caller ID. Daniel's head turned towards the direction Carla was in, smiling maniacally. His footsteps drew closer as Carla trembled in place, unsure what to do or even where to go. She took a deep breath, answered the call, and stumbled off into the parking lot of the hospital as Daniel followed behind.

"Gerald, where in God's name—"

"M-Ma'am... I need you to remain quiet for a moment and listen to me. There is a murderer at the hospital where the man who owns this phone works at. I need you to call the cops and an ambulance, please... I'm begging you!" She exclaimed. Carla hung the phone up, tossing it to the ground in the hopes that the woman would listen to her. She rushed under a parked car which was surrounded by only a few others, waiting for Daniel to come stalk her once again. She couldn't outrun him, not in her condition, so the best she could do was wait.

Seconds later, his footsteps became apparent again as he sighed loudly and groaned. He must have picked his weapon back up as the sound of scrapping metal on metal echoed in the empty parking lot. His breath quickened, sounding as if he was excited to finally be able to glide his blade across skin once more.

"Carla, darling, sweetie, baby, come out and play with me... Hey, maybe we could share her? I mean, she can't complain since it's already too late for her..." Daniel scoffed. Carla cried silently, hoping that it was all a lie, that this was just a dream. In the distance, sirens blared, causing Daniel to curse quietly and run off. Carla crawled out from under the car, heading in the opposite direction of the cars to the one place she could trust to be safe at.

Through the pain, sweat, blood, and tears, Carla stalked slowly to her destination. Approaching the door, she knocked with all the force she could muster. A familiar face greets her with a wide gaze and hug. It was Josie. She ushered her into the house, shutting the door quietly behind her.

"What happened? Why are you here?" She asked, eyeing the dirt and scratches all over Carla.

"It was Daniel. He almost got me." She said slowly, nearly collapsing to the ground in exhaustion. Josie held her close to her, pressing her face to her dirty and unkept hair. Josie said nothing, weeping to herself as she held tighter onto Carla.

"What are we going to do? He knows everyone that you can go to for help! Hell, the police can't even catch him..." She shouted, punching the floor with enough force to bruise her hand. Carla looked away, not knowing what to say or do. The two remained quiet on the floor as they heard cop cars drive down the street. Their loud speakers turned on, preparing for an announcement.

"For your safety, please remain in your houses. There is a murderer who has been on the run and his whereabouts are unknown. The culprit is a man by the name of Daniel Smith. He is approximately 5'10 with short brunette hair and hazel eyes. He is considered to be armed and dangerous, so please do not, under any circumstances, open the door to anyone until further notice." The voice rang out in the streets.

Josie looked back to Carla, her blue hair brushed over her face in a sense of desperation to say something. Despite that, nothing can out as her mouth hung open and her eyes became glossy. Carla smiles emotionlessly, moving the hair out of her face and bringing Josie closer to her.

"Calm down, I can tell how tense and scared you are. We will get through this, we have to." Carla said sternly. Josie modded, standing back up and leading Carla to her room after grabbing a few protective weapons.

"We can't sleep, we can't make any loud noises, and we need to have an escape route. If anything happens, I'll protect you. You're not going to be able to run fast in your condition." Josie said silently. Carla was about to decline Josie's suggestion, but was hushed by her mouth being covered by Josie's lips. "Don't argue with me. I'm right, you're wrong, deal with it." Josie said.

Carla nodded hesitantly, hiding a flushed face with her hands. The two sat in complete silence for what seemed like hours. The occasional animal noise from outside became drowned by their pounding hearts until finally they all stopped. Everything stopped, seeming as if the world had froze in its tracks. There were no footsteps outside, nor anything else. It was just too quiet for their liking.

Just as soon as the sounds stopped, the snapping of a large branch broke the silence. Then, the scrapping of metal on rocks began. There was no voice, nor was there anything else, just, what sounded to be, a knife hitting against rocks outside the window was enough to set the two in a defensive mode. Josie handed Carla her phone, pressing a finger to her lip to hush her.

"There is an emergency signal on this. It'll send out a distress signal without having to call the police. I need you to launch it while I go and keep an eye out for him." She whispered, crawling away without making a sound. Carla let out a quiet breath, beginning the emergency signal as Josie instructed her to do. Just then, the sound of glass shattering came from downstairs as Daniel cried out.

"I know you're here!"

Carla shook in her spot, eyeing Josie who was trembling as well. The two sat there, thinking of their next steps...