The Sore Spot

As Cross was being fitted, Ink was curled up quietly in the Big Top. He hadn't moved ever since last night. He'd gotten outside, gotten caught and immediately retreated back into here and slept in the stands. He sat up and stared around the tent silently. Tiers of bleachers curled around the sides of the tent, while there was a giant metal circle in the middle of it.

This was the Ring. It spun and columns rose and shrunk, revealing openings to boost people up and pull them back down. There was a circular conveyer on the sides. Ink felt a dull moment of excitement looking at it, knowing this was where he'd performed some of his best shows. His eyelights were small dots, the shapes having faded. He was running out of paint.

He flinched as the music hit an odd beat and suddenly called out. "Error! Turn it down just a little please!" He yelled, his voice raspy. The music continued before it dropped a little and Ink blinked as the room with the buttons to control the show lit up. It was on the side of the Tent, attached to the bleachers. He watched as the door opened and someone poked their head out.

Error glared at him, but there was a bit of concern in his eyes. He pulled his headphones down to rest on his shoulders. Error slammed the door and came out. He reached Ink and settled down next to him. "Wh-Wh-What's the problem n-n-n-n-now??" He growled. Ink flinched again, his back stinging, and Error raised a hand to him.

"Y-Y-Y-You got c-c-c-caught once you l-l-l-left last night, didn't y-y-y-you?" Error asked quietly, seeming to piece together what had happened. Ink nodded shakily. Error stared at him before his gaze softened and he stood up. He reached out a hand and Ink took it, Error pulling him up. Error's body fizzled violently, but other than that, the glitch seemed unbothered.

Ink leaned against him as Error led him back to the sound booth and slipped inside with him. He shut the door and Ink sighed in relief, the sound somewhat muffled. Error had him lay on the couch in the back. "D-D-Don't touch anything." He warned. Ink gave a weary grin, nodding.

Error felt the need to tell him that every time he came into the sound booth. Ink had only ever messed with the buttons ONCE. He watched Error pressed a button, allowing the current soundtrack to play on a loop. He turned back to Ink. "L-L-L-Let's see the d-d-damage..."

———————————

Ink began to undo his scarf and already, Error felt himself glitching in quiet horror. Once the scarf had been moved from his back, he could see tears in the fabric. Lacerations in his bones. The mark of a whip. He felt himself fizzle in quiet anger, but forced the cold rage back down his throat.

"H-H-H-How many times d-d-did he hit you?" Error asked quietly. He had to bite back another cold wave of rage as Ink slipped his shirt off, exposing his back. There were deep lacerations in his bones, bled black and with cracks spreading from them.

"Five." Ink answered quietly. "Last time, it was three." Error sighed as he stared at the damaged bones. He could see the swirls on Ink's bones underneath. He sat down next to Ink, rolling up his sleeves and having the other face away from him. Ink spoke with weak amusement. "Not gonna scold me for getting caught again?"

Error remained quiet. "N-N-N-Not when you came to m-m-m-me having a breakdown..." He mumbled. His hands lit up blue and he began to heal the other quietly. Ink was quiet. Ink had come to him in tears last night. His stress and fear had begun to overwhelm the overdose of joy he'd taken and Error had stayed with him while he got it out of his system.

"Sorry for bothering you like that." Ink said after a moment. Error shook his head, quietly assuring him that he didn't need to apologize. Ink still seemed uncertain, rubbing one of his arms.